S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

More CEL Drama...

Old 03-18-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More CEL Drama...

Alright fellas, you've never let me down before so here is my next question(s).

I just recently got a CEL for "Air flow control system out of range."

Here are some possibilities on why:

My S is equipped with the comptech SC. I just recently moved from an elev. of 1100ft to an elev. of 4800ft. And I put in a bottle of fuel cleaner and octane boost the last time I filled up.

I went to the dealer to get it checked out and reset the light for me. But the light came back on two days later. The car is running like it always has. No noticeable differences.

My questions are: 1) What is the real reason why (best guess) the CEL came on? 2) How might I fix it? 3) Would running the car without fixing it for an extended period of time possibley do any harm?

I just don't have time to fix this thing for a while, and I need my car. I'm thinking about just taking the circuit breaker for the CEL light out until I can get it fixed.

Thanks for any help in the matter.

Gratefull as always,
Chris
Old 03-18-2004, 02:11 PM

can you tell me what code that is, bro?
Old 03-18-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This sounds like a code "P0411". It is possible that one of your vacuum hoses has come off or come loose. Check the routing again and also the orientation of the check valve. See this thread to trace the hoses:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=105368

If you pull the ECU fuse and leave it out, your car will idle like crap.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:09 PM

that's what i was thiinking xviper. much like the one i brought up in my sc install thread. i traced the lines 1,000 times, and everything was fine. what i didn't notice was, althhough i routed all my lines correctly (or so i thought) i had mounted my lil selenoid deal upside down so two hoses were backward.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:47 PM

I've had the SC installed for 2+ years and over 40K miles. Never before has a CEL come on. And I just spent the last half hour checking the hoses again. It looks like they're installed correctly.

Wortham are you talking about the air control solenoid valve? If so, I just ran out and triple checked that bad johnny too. It's right side up.

This is driving me crazy. Is my engine gonna blow up if it doesn't get the air flow back in range? What's the worst that could happen??
Old 03-18-2004, 03:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colombino
Old 03-18-2004, 04:02 PM

xviper, that's not a CEL that comes on when that map sensor starts acting up, is it? won't a good tap put that back in business?

if the engine has a serious problem, the CEL will start flashing. if it's just on, it's trying to tell you something seems off but isn't serious. i won't be the one to give you the green light and say you'll be alright (cuz you'll come hunt me down if i'm wrong), but in my inexpert opinion i think you should be alright to drive it, but i'd keep chasing down the problem til you figure it out.

a call to comptech might be in order too. that's how i solved my CEL issues. shad @ comptech was a freakin' genius.

and yep. it was the solenoid you mentioned that i was referring to. it's easy to have that mounted it the wrong way ... just gotta say that in my own defense.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:04 PM

Well, I guess I have my work cut out for me. I'll post the results of my findings for future reference.

Don't hesitate to shoot me any more ideas. I live in a very small town again, I doubt they've ever seen an SC'd S2000 around here.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:07 PM

I don't think the MAP sensor would have anything to with airflow code as such. This has to do with all those vacuum hoses and secondary air injection system. That's the system that includes the air pump that lives in the left front bumper cavity. It blows air into the exhaust manifold during warm up to clean up emissions.
If he gets a blinking CEL, then he needs to shut the car down and have it towed. A solid light is a sign of a problem that can be diagnosed at the earliest opportunity.

ps. A MAP code would be a P0107 or P0108. If he had the code, we'd know for sure.
pps. If is is a MAP code, then it could be a bad connection on the Comptech MAP clamp.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:33 AM

Alright, I talked with a couple of people today and they are all pointing me toward that solenoid valve. I hope that's the deal. Anyway thanks again for all your help. I will follow up again with absolute results.

-xviper, that baby is freakin me out.

Quick Reply: More CEL Drama...