S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Moton Suspension!?!

Old 02-07-2001, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never heard of these people before (not saying too much ) But check out these products at King Motorsports

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/products/moton/

They look to be race-only, and at a $4800 price tag... ouch!

But what do you guys know about them?
Old 02-07-2001, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know a damn thing about them other than what's said on the website... which is all I need to see. They look like excellent dampeners, but that price is not excusable.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B]I don't know a damn thing about them other than what's said on the website... which is all I need to see.
Old 02-07-2001, 09:51 AM

I don't think they're overpriced, I know they are. I doubt those shocks cost more than $20/piece to make. Even if they do, no one can argue they need to cost $4800/set to be a profitable product. They're overpriced. Period.

There is a bad trend in the aftermarket automotive industry to sell products for FAR more than they cost to make simply because people will pay that. And while that makes decent economic sense, when it gets to this far of an extreme, it's no longer a price, it's a ransom. Like I said before, if I wanted to buy the best dampeners money could buy, I'm sure these are either them, or at least very competitive with the best. But that doesn't justify the price. It's a goddamn shock absorber, not a nuclear reactor. And it just isn't a very expensive product to make. At $1200/piece I just don't see how that price can be defended as just. </rant>

[Edited by The Reverend on 02-07-2001 at 10:54 AM]
Old 02-07-2001, 10:19 AM
j2k

I think you're forgetting that there's more to a shock absorber that affects the price that just the cost of the raw materials (of course this really applies to just about everything, not just shocks). The development costs of something like these taken with the expected low sales volume does a lot to drive a price up very quickly. As was mentioned before $1200 per corner is not so far out of line with any other custom race shock. Now spending that much for shocks on a street car.... you're not going to see much return on that investment. But if you're talking about a competitive race car, it's not really that unreasonable.

cheers,
jason keeney
Old 02-07-2001, 10:48 AM

Reverend... The Moton dampers that King is selling are some of the highest quality racing dampers that are available. They are designed by a company in Holland that was started by and ex-Koni and ex-JRZ engineer. These are *real* racing shocks.

Even though the Tien and Spoon shocks are marketed as 'race' parts, they really are not. If you walk through the grid at a World Challenge or Motorola Cup race, you'll see Moton suspension attached to most of the cars-with Penske or JRZ's on the others.

The Motons are not your average everyday run-of-the mill shocks. They are priced accordingly. And you shouldn't make unfounded claims about the cost of manufacture of such parts. If you want inexpensive shocks, buy some Tiens or Spoons or some other sort of 'tuner' part. The Motons are real shocks for truly serious people. They were custom made for the S2000 with Scott @ King's specifications... Any custom made race shock is $800+ each. Our Penskes are $850 each, Some of the Koni's that were made for other Stooks were $1000 each... so the Motons fall right in line.

[Edited by Jason Saini on 02-07-2001 at 05:09 PM]
Old 02-07-2001, 11:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B]I don't think they're overpriced, I know they are.
Old 02-07-2001, 11:46 AM

Well, I'll say what I said before - I have no first hand experience with them - so stop it with the "expert" sarcasm. I don't dispute that they are probably excellent shocks.

But if you all feel it's such a great deal, put your money where your mouth is and go buy a set.

BTW, why do you take this so personally? Do you own stock in it or something? I love the "kid" reference and the whole flame based on my simple post that I said this was too much money for what it is. You show great maturity and wisdom.
Old 02-07-2001, 11:55 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the reason I have a problem with yout post is that you make yourself out to be an expert.. Reread what you said.

"I KNOW they are overpriced." followed by an admission that you aren't an expert and that you know very little about them. Dont' you see the problem here? You can't have both. Either you ask for more information about them before forming your opinion (like most of us do) or simply don't contribute.

[Edited by Jason Saini on 02-07-2001 at 05:12 PM]
Old 02-07-2001, 12:02 PM

I'm not going to let this spiral into another flame-war. If you have something worthwhile to contribute, contribute it. If all you're going to do is flame, stop bothering to respond - I'm not impressed. As a moderator, you should know better.

Quick Reply: Moton Suspension!?!