S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Motor shutting off...

Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Motor shutting off...

Well the story goes...and its long... sorry and i appreciate those who take the time to read and try to figure this out.. cause im stumped.

did a diagnostic on it and came back with nothing....

As im driving i have a habit of pushing the clutch in to take corners, at slower speeds of course. and for some reason my motor will go to -100 rpms and will kick back up to +900 which would seem semi-normal. But on occasion my motor will shut off.I found it its only when i push the clutch in while being in 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th. meaning when im in those gears ill push my clutch in, and if i dont shift or let off the clutch fast enough the car will stall out...

well after 2days of this happening i take it to honda, and i get a phone call saying "your motor has seized". so i had the car towed (btw Honda just happen to set my oily valve cover on my seats -.- GG Honda ) back to my shop.

When then took the oil pan off and found metal shavings in the bottom of the oil pan. but as far as my mechanic said all the pistons etc are fine nothing is messed up. So my mechanic took a flat head screw driver and put a little pressure on the fly wheel (i think thats what i seen, i was frustrated that my car was dead -.-) and it freed up the motor. so we put the thing back together and it started up. So we ran cleaner's threw EVERYTHING... oil, gas, and pistons to flush out the car of carbon or gunk build up. We let it sit and run for about a hour. Then i took it on a test drive for a hour, and it ran just fine...

The next day i take the car back out and im not hard on it, shifting at around 4000 or below, letting the cleaner's work. and once again the motor shuts off on me while im going to make a U-turn....

Next day i take the car back to my mechanic and had the car shut off 2 more times on my way there (30min drive). so we go threw it and re-clean the pistons. and once again the car ran fine for just a bit longer. Then as i get home i slow down to go around some curves in my drive way, pushing the clutch in, and the car dies once again and this time wont start... so i waited till the motor's cooled down and try to start it. it fights to not start then fires up and runs with a puttering sound like the motor is being flooded, then 5mins later it clears up and was acting fine.... and one last time i go to my mechanic and as i pull up to stop to talk to him my car dies... after that the car has been sitting at the mechanics.

odd i know... the car has 56k miles on it, and according to CARfax everything is clean and well taken care of.

im stumped
Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HAMstar,May 3 2007, 11:05 AM

odd i know... the car has 56k miles on it, and according to CARfax everything is clean and well taken care of.
Carfax doesnt tell you it was well taken care of or clean.. hell, carfax doesnt even report all accidents
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by silvers2k01,May 3 2007, 11:26 AM
Carfax doesnt tell you it was well taken care of or clean.. hell, carfax doesnt even report all accidents
o i know that, but its all i had to go on to see some kinda history on the car.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I near by totaled an accord. about $35.00 away form being totaled to be exact. and carfax never got wind of it.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:29 PM

replace filters?

my civic would do that when the air filter was pretty clogged.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:34 PM

Any CEL's?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by anth305,May 3 2007, 02:29 PM
replace filters?

my civic would do that when the air filter was pretty clogged.
i replaced. refilled. everything. and still happening
Old 05-03-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by doheboy6,May 3 2007, 02:34 PM
Any CEL's?
none that i know of.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a long shot but when my car was stalling when driving the plug on the sensor of the TB was loose

Mine would mostly have trouble starting then stalling and while decelerating at lights
Old 05-03-2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Startrek,May 3 2007, 04:56 PM
Its a long shot but when my car was stalling when driving the plug on the sensor of the TB was loose

Mine would mostly have trouble starting then stalling and while decelerating at lights
hmmm could be. but did u have metal shavings in your oil? cause i do so im thinking there could be more to the issue.

but thanks for the idea

Quick Reply: Motor shutting off...