S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is my starter bad? (VIDEO ADDED)

Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my starter bad? (VIDEO ADDED)

Hey Guys-

I have tried to research the best way to determine if my starter is bad/going bad but havent really found anything substantial on the site so I wanted to see if I could get some help on this.

Currently my car is struggling to start. I had the battery tested at Advanced Auto Parts and the reading showed that my battery was performing as it should. The battery cables are tighten down as well.

The symptom is my car sloooooowly turns over a couple times before it starts. Sometimes, it will take 3-5 seconds before it will start. Sometimes, it starts a little faster - but that is usually when I re-crank the car after it has been running for a while.

My car was in the shop last week and the battery was drained when I got my car back but after tightening the cables it seemed to charge the battery and it was starting OK for a few days.

Two of the guys at Advanced thought it was probably the starter as well after we tested the battery but I really want to get a second opinion before buying a starter and going through the installation process.

Any other ideas on things I could check... TIA.

Here is link to video so you can here the startup issue:

Video Of Startup Issues
Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 AM

Does it sound like 2 gears grinding together? Your bendix gear might be shot.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the battery tested while cranking (starting) the car. It sounds like your battery is bad. A bad starter either:
--doesn't spin at all
--makes a grinding noise because the bendix gear hasn't engaged the flywheel.
--Gets 'overspun' when the bendix doesn't disengage once the engine starts. This has a distinctive whirring tone to it..

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback... I dont hear any abnormal grinding noise. Just hear the car struggling to turn over and start. The battery was drained when my car was in the shop for a week so that may have killed the battery I suppose? I added a video as well so you could here what it sounds likes. Thanks again....
Old 05-29-2009, 05:10 AM

Does not sound like the battery at all, sounds like the only reason the engine has a hard time turning over is because your started is bad, and once its running it sounded like the bendix did not disengage.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by directportjuicedS2k,May 29 2009, 05:10 AM
Does not sound like the battery at all, sounds like the only reason the engine has a hard time turning over is because your started is bad, and once its running it sounded like the bendix did not disengage.
Bendix did not disengage??? Are you referring to the ticking sound coming from the engine? I believe that is the chain tensioner that has gone bad FOR THE 3RD TIME!!! (assuming that is what you are talking about).
Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM

So I took my car to a different Advanced Auto Parts store and they did a basic battery test which said the battery was not charged properly. They then ran a load test and it showed that the charging system in the car was functioning properly and that the battery had a bad cell. Replaced the battery and the car started right up. Guess a load test is always good to have when you are not sure if the battery is good or not. FWIW - I had the battery tested 2 days ago and it showed to be totally fine so a second opinion can always be useful.

The battery was also still under the 5 year warranty (out of the 2 year full replacement) so I got a $45 credit towards new battery... turning out to be a good day after all! Thanks for all the help guys. Now - on to replace the master cylinder.