S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

No Spark

Old 02-01-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark

Rebuilt the motor and cannot get it to start up now. Turns over, just not starting. Compression OK, injectors OK, cannot get spark. I pulled all the coilpacks and tested them all with different plugs on different connectors. Even earth grounded and still no spark. Ground on the back of the block is good and all connecters have voltage running to them. Fuses are all good. What else?

Timing is the only thing confusing me. With crank lined up to white notch cams are all good. However, you can turn the crank all the way around and cams will be 180 out. Does it make a difference which cycle the gears are lined up on, or does the ECU not care? Seems like it would make a difference because when you adjust the valves you are setting them for a specific intake/exhaust cycle... or is it the same cycle twice and doesn't matter?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM

I'm sure F series and B series motor fuctions the same. I had to take cam gears off of the Integra GS-R and couldn't get the timing right. When I tried to start up the car with the timing off, it blew my dizzy and whatever parts that were in there because the timing was off. Got the timing right and tight to recommended specs and replaced the dizzy, car started up fine. Also, check for ground wire, and one by the thermostat I believe.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

I get what you are saying about the "cycle" and cam timing, and NO it doesn't matter. But I can see how you may be confused.

In other words, if you took an engine that was never taken apart...set the crank to white...set the cams correct (marks pointing towards each other).

THEN remove the cams, put them both 180 out (marks away from each other) and put it back together, it will still run. You didn't actually change anything...because when you turn the crank 360, your marks will be back to the proper spot (pointing towards each other).

Hope I have made you understand
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM

How much was the engine rebuilt? did you forget the trigger wheel behind the timing cover? I dont think you can reverse the trigger wheel on accident, unless it is a k-pro conversion....not 100% sure.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Check the basics:

Turn the key on, make sure the CEL comes on, then goes off.

Make sure the green key light flashes on, then goes OFF. This means it has accepted your key.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 PM

I took the head off,I took the pistons out and re-ringed it, new bearings, new gaskets. I did not remove the timing cover. Thank you for the clarification. I would be happy if something I check was actually wrong because so far I did everything right and it wont start .
Old 02-02-2011, 04:56 AM

"basics" check out? What I posted?

I'm sure you have checked the fuses.

In 25 years of working on cars, there have been times when I swore I checked the fuses, but I missed one.

Check them with a test light, make sure the circuit is live. Even a good fuse wont produce its own power
Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 AM

You def have fuel?? Plugs wet? I used to take the plugs out and hold against the block and turn over (on motorbike) to physically see it sparking... unsure if you can do it on a car though???

again fuses, fuel pumps and all the rest of it
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 AM

Billman - Just checked, and CEL and green key come on and turn off. I don't have a test light, will have to get one to check... probably just use a multi-meter I assume...
Old 02-02-2011, 09:27 AM

Multi meter is good.

Quick Reply: No Spark