S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

obd scan tool wont work

Old 06-29-2010, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obd scan tool wont work

hi i just got a loan of a scan tool to try find out why my car wont start...when i connected up the tool to the DLC connector it tries to connect to the car and half way through the connection it says there is a linking error would anyone know why this would be coming up as its the first time i have used one of these............i went through the work shop manual to trouble shoot the problem and it reckons its the ecu but i know that the ecu is good well it was 2days ago is there a way of checking if the ecu is good because i have nobody around with a s2000 toswap one thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 05:34 AM

Either the scan tool is: out of date (software), has a damaged pin, or you have a blown fuse(in the vehicle). What kind of scan tool are we talking about? Have you done anything yo your car lately that could be related to the no start?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 AM

its a brand new sealy obdii/eobd scan tool its universal and it says it works with the s2000 i have checked every fuse three times...i have stripped the car for drifting and every since i put it back together it hasnt started now i have gone through everything i can with the manual and i thought maybe the scan tool would help but again no joy...at first i thought it was just immobiliser but i got a new ecu with programmed key and still no joy at this stage i think the only way out is with a can of petrol and a match
Old 06-29-2010, 06:31 AM

lol, does it crank? and what exactly did you strip out of the car?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:51 AM

i know all i can do is laugh......yeah it cranks just wont fire...i basically stripped the interior for it to be painted the put it back together and made sure all the earths were good afterwards the reconnected everything and no joy and i have been like this for last 7 months i have gone trough everythin i can with the manual and changed ecu's have checked every wire for breaks and checked every fuse and relay 10 times and still no joy something tells me its to do still with th immobiliser because the green light on the dash doesn flash and i cant here the fuel pump prime but again got an ecu with programmed key and still nothing i then troubleshooted the immobiliser system and can find nothing wrong and people that know about the immobiliser dont want to discuss for obvious reasons.....so im basically stuck were i am now was thinkin bout cutting a hole to use my feet to move it
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by carbonart,Jun 29 2010, 08:51 AM
i know all i can do is laugh......yeah it cranks just wont fire...i basically stripped the interior for it to be painted the put it back together and made sure all the earths were good afterwards the reconnected everything and no joy and i have been like this for last 7 months i have gone trough everythin i can with the manual and changed ecu's have checked every wire for breaks and checked every fuse and relay 10 times and still no joy something tells me its to do still with th immobiliser because the green light on the dash doesn flash and i cant here the fuel pump prime but again got an ecu with programmed key and still nothing i then troubleshooted the immobiliser system and can find nothing wrong and people that know about the immobiliser dont want to discuss for obvious reasons.....so im basically stuck were i am now was thinkin bout cutting a hole to use my feet to move it
You have to use periods in your posts, pleeeeease.

Anyway, did you remove the cluster? Why are you using a scan tool; did you get a CEL and you're wanting to pull the DTC?

The cluster is required to run the car, if indeed you removed it.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM

Next thing I'll suggest is that you check the "back-up" fuse under the dash. Mine blew and the flashing green key didn't show until I replaced it. The car, however, did run without it so that doesn' help with that problem
Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 AM

I don't know much about immobilizer systems but I would think that it wouldnt even crank if there is a problem with that . But i don't know. But if you don't hear the fuel pump prime before you start it I would say start there and see what you can find. I just have a feeling its going to be something simple.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM

found out what it was there is a small round plastic thing with a rubber button of some sort on top of it and went through the wiring diagrams and just deleted it and bang fuel pump primed and grenn light flashed and she fired cant belive it dying for this day for a long time
Old 06-29-2010, 01:21 PM

sounds like the inertia switch then, its located in the drivers side kick panel next to the ecu. See if that has been tripped.

Quick Reply: obd scan tool wont work