S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Oil filter question (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/oil-filter-question-1190006/)

cosmomiller 11-29-2018 03:59 PM

I hear you on the wind issue. I have a giant, wide mouth funnel that can catch all the drippings. I bend one corner of the pan a bit when it is time to pour. Tough part is not overfilling with opaque containers.

BTW, a newspaper is this rolled up piece of highly water absorbent low quality print paper that mysteriously appears at the end of the driveway around 4am. My wife loves it. (Happy wife is a happy home) Dogs are indifferent. Does make for a nice discussion when drinking morning coffee before getting to the real news online.

simons 11-29-2018 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by noodels (Post 24538146)
Always do mine from top with oem air box.
0.5 L may be lost,so top up oil.
It wont drain through if left overnight ..
ps
It wont make your oil clear again.

thanks everyone for your replies. Im going to try it when the weather here clears up. (Outdoor)
@noodels I didnt mean literally clear, but perhaps it will improve the current oil quality? Just thinking that the filter might be filter less. I have no idea how many miles a filter should work???
Last change was about 2 or 3 years ago due to some circumstances. Basically there has been about 2 full quarts or more renewed since by adding freshly to top up ;-) But not so many miles driven. But oil is quit black. Not sure if it means anything though. Ill find out soon if I see any change in the oil after the new filter! Preparing an all fluid change anyway.

How many miles is a filter supposed to do it job? What is it designed for?

And is it designed to take out relatively big partikels to prevent engine damage, or is the function also to keep the oil "clean"? (clean of tiny particles)

Just as a simple comparison, if I clean my aquariums filter, afterwards it clears out the water a bit because it can absorb more dirt parricles again. So just thinking the engine oil Might work with the same logic.

windhund116 11-29-2018 04:42 PM

How long oil & oil filter last, before change, is dependent on the type of driving. Stop and go, many short trips, tracking... will prolly require shorter change intervals --- than long, steady speed commutes.

If it were me, I'd change both oil and filter. Mark the mileage and try for consistent oil & filter changes from this point forward.

:thumbup: :)

zeroptzero 11-29-2018 07:13 PM

I just removed the Honda oem oil filter on my integra and I have to say that I am very disappointed with it. Upon unscrewing of the filter I kept pulling back expecting to get hit with dripping oil. Much to my surprise not a single drop of oil came out of the filter. Once I got it to the ground I tipped it upside down into a drain pan and not a single drop came out of it. How weird is that ? The anti-drain valve wasn't worth a damn on it. On the b-series engine the filter sits horizontally. The car has been sitting in storage for 2 weeks since I last drove it. The filter didn't even feel heavy like you get with oil saturated media, so strange, first I've ever seen that.

windhund116 11-29-2018 08:19 PM

That's really weird. How many miles was the filter on the car?

:ponder:

noodels 11-29-2018 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116 (Post 24538587)
How long oil & oil filter last, before change, is dependent on the type of driving. Stop and go, many short trips, tracking... will prolly require shorter change intervals --- than long, steady speed commutes.

If it were me, I'd change both oil and filter. Mark the mileage and try for consistent oil & filter changes from this point forward.

:thumbup: :)

As above :thumbup:

cosmomiller 11-29-2018 08:28 PM

I don't think that is surprising over a two week period. The anti-drain feature is built to certain specs. Flow vs time. Over two weeks oil is going to seep out slowly, very slowly until it is gone. Under performance conditions it will perform as advertised.

zeroptzero 11-30-2018 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116 (Post 24538630)
That's really weird. How many miles was the filter on the car?

:ponder:

This filter was installed by a Honda dealer just before I bought the car, not more than 5 months ago, but it has very low miles on it as I barely drove the car during that time as I've been restoring it back to original condition. So in terms of mileage less than 1000 kms (600 miles) total

zeroptzero 11-30-2018 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller (Post 24538633)
I don't think that is surprising over a two week period. The anti-drain feature is built to certain specs. Flow vs time. Over two weeks oil is going to seep out slowly, very slowly until it is gone. Under performance conditions it will perform as advertised.

Thanks for the reply. I know on my s2000 I would remove the filter after several months of storage and oil always dripped out of it upon loosening, I know the S2000 filter doesn't sit as horizontal as the b-series motors due to the slant of the motor though.

noodels 11-30-2018 05:54 AM

S2000 filter fit a B series ?
Haver used a Hamp shortie on my B series before