S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil filter question

Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil filter question

As an experiment i'm going to just replace the oil filter for now, until the next oil + filter change. To see if it clears up my oil, or not.

Is there enough room to replace the filter from the top via the engine bay? (So no jacking up). I have the oem airbox.

I have read that most oil will drain to the engine bottom overnight, and it wont leak out via the filter opening if you unscrew the filter without draining. Just some oil from the filter itself. Is that correct?

Anybody done this before this way? Thanks for all input!

**Note. Please don't bother telling me I should change both oil and filter! Its just an experiment.

All I want to know is if it cane be done. Thanks
Old 11-28-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

You should be able to remove the oil filter under your conditions, no problem. Just spin it off, from above the engine. I use a ratchet with an oil filter wrench. A little oil will be held in the filter and could drip onto the chassis and floor.

Remember to torque down the new one & replace the lost oil (prolly ~ 1/2 quart).

Old 11-28-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 347 Likes on 323 Posts

Always do mine from top with oem air box.
0.5 L may be lost,so top up oil.
It wont drain through if left overnight ..
ps
It wont make your oil clear again.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Unusual way of doing things, for sure. I use a Fumoto valve so I never have to jack up the car for an oil change anyway. Everything is done though the open hood.

I do have a technique to remove the filter that might help you. I save a few of the long plastic bags my newspaper gets delivered in and slide it over the filter. As I remove the filter, the plastic cover rotates with it so no oil spills. The filter then drops down to the bottom of the bag for easy clean disposal.

Use an OEM filter. It is constructed for the S with 2 metal rings around the gasket for a solid metal to metal contact.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

What is this news paper you speak of?

I do like your trick. I will try it with the plastic shopping bags I save and reuse for stuff...
Old 11-28-2018, 04:27 PM

As above also the media in oem is the best
Old 11-28-2018, 04:31 PM

**** that I don't mind a spill of oil,give it a spay with carb cleaner
The following users liked this post:
michael_s (12-06-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I use a Fumoto valve so I never have to jack up the car for an oil change anyway. Everything is done though the open hood.
I have a Fumoto too. What do you use for a pan to receive the drain oil that fits under car? I end up jacking the car up anyway. I've been considering removing the Fumoto valve.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

@rpg51 i use a short pan from autozone that is a couple inches shorter than the bottom of the car. I also use a futomoto. I also change my oil from the top. With the car down, not jacked, when I open the futomoto, I also break the torque on the oil filter, but dont separate it. While the oil is draining, if you broke the filter seal enough, than sufficient air should creep by the seal during the oil drain to release the hydraulic vacuum so the oil in the filter drains to the pan in the block. When the oil is done draining, give the filter a quick spin off, any remaing oil in the filter should fall straight down into the pan instead of dripping down the block(since the car isnt jacked)

Once the oil filter is unscrewed, reach down setting it on the filter drain portion of the drain pan. Close and wipe the futomoto or replace drain plug, prepare new filter, install new filter and torque. By now the old filter has drained enough to not drip, so reach down through the hole, pick it up and toss it in the trash. fill your oil verify no leaks. Slide the pan out.

Should be able to do all of this bare handed and get no oil on you or in a place that results in the need of cleaning.

Last edited by Deckoz; 11-28-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
@rpg51 i use a short pan from autozone that is a couple inches shorter than the bottom of the car.
Could you post a link to that pan you use?
Do you mean that after cracking the oil filter a bit the oil in the filter will be pulled into the vehicle oil pan and then drain out through the Fumoto?

BTW - I am happy to see you stepped back and decided to continue as an active member of the forum. Good decision.

Last edited by rpg51; 11-28-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil filter question