S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

oil leak ? please help

Old 06-26-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default oil leak ? please help

hey guys ive noticed a small oil leak in the back of the motor where the transmission connects . its a very small leak . so small that it doesnt even leak on the floor it just stays on the transmission case . what can it be ? main engine seal ? im worried my flywheel and clutch inside is getting full of oil . my car has been riding very slow n sluggish latley .
Old 06-26-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need a new clutch by chance? sounds like a main seal yes. make sure you install the seal to the proper height as per the manual.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by prj3ctm4yh3m
need a new clutch by chance? sounds like a main seal yes. make sure you install the seal to the proper height as per the manual.
yess i do need a new clutch now since i have to go in there anyway to change the seal ? u think oil is in there all over the flywheel n clutch ? and \what causes the main seal to go bad ? this car as been a huge headeache soo far
Old 06-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the "this car has been a huge headeache soo far" club.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 AM

bump!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not jump to a rear main seal conclusion so quickly. You have a drop of oil, have you wiped it away and checked if it even comes back? Thrown the car on a lift and looked above it to see where it could come from above? Is there oil trailing back the rest of the car from where oil is dripping off? A rear main leak will leak most when moving so I would expect the underside of your car to be thoroughly coated in oil from the transmission back. Is your oil level dropping that fast that you really believe your bellhousing is filled with oil? I haven't heard of many rear main leaks on the S, I think its absurd to jump to that conclusion. As far as slow and sluggish a million things could cause that, such as the fact that its now summer and hot outside. Engines tend to leak small amounts with age, I wouldn't be overly concerned, I would try to pinpoint it, but definitely not looking to tear down the engine.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by SLracer
I would not jump to a rear main seal conclusion so quickly. You have a drop of oil, have you wiped it away and checked if it even comes back? Thrown the car on a lift and looked above it to see where it could come from above? Is there oil trailing back the rest of the car from where oil is dripping off? A rear main leak will leak most when moving so I would expect the underside of your car to be thoroughly coated in oil from the transmission back. Is your oil level dropping that fast that you really believe your bellhousing is filled with oil? I haven't heard of many rear main leaks on the S, I think its absurd to jump to that conclusion. As far as slow and sluggish a million things could cause that, such as the fact that its now summer and hot outside. Engines tend to leak small amounts with age, I wouldn't be overly concerned, I would try to pinpoint it, but definitely not looking to tear down the engine.
well as far as sluggish n being slow ive done a couple things , did valve adjustment , new spark plugs , new k&n drop in filter , and new berk hfc n its helped . Feels more responsive now . N while I was installing the cat I noticed the leak . N no I dont notice oil level going my car doesnt even consune oil as much as other s2k. But my clutch does feel weird n it seems to slip on high rpms. So new clutch will be comming soon . Im trying to get my car as healthy as I can cuz I will be boosting within the next 6 months. I gotta look more into that small leak though. Im pretty sure its coming through where the transmission meets the engine.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

When you did the valve adjustment, oil runs onto the transmission when you pull the valve cover.

I'll bet you have no leak.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
When you did the valve adjustment, oil runs onto the transmission when you pull the valve cover.

I'll bet you have no leak.
Yup. That happened to me. A little oil on the floor the next day and nothing since.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Yea tru it couldve been that . Imma double check again tomorrow n see .

Quick Reply: oil leak ? please help