S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil light flickers *Oil is full*

Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Oil light flickers *Oil is full*

I have a 2003 ap1 138k miles recently done oil change, but at times the oil light will flicker rapidly when I'm at idle or when I pop it into neutral. Currently not driving it. People say it might be

1. Oil pump
2. Engine bearing
3. Oil sensor

A. how do I check for which one it is?
B. What site or where would you guys recommend to get the parts from?
C. What other maintenance things would I need to look for in a 138k s2000?
D. Has anyone used this site before?

2003 Honda S2000 2.0L L4 Engine Rebuild Kit - EK210 -4

Thank you guys in advance.

I recently just got her 2 months now and so far replaced alternator, battery, and spark plugs due to it shutting off on me in on the interstate and now I'm having this issue. Buy an s2k they said it'll be fun they said. So far it's been a fun learning experience since it's my daily and first manual car, love this thing.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Its probably something simple hopefully like the oil pressure sensor, I would try to replace that first.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was it flickering prior to the oil change?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Start with the oil pressure sensor; it's an easy replacement. The wire could be jacked or the connection could be compromised as well. They're super cheap on rockauto.

Otherwise that's usually a sign the MAIN bearings are going, which is unusual on the F20's, eh? Like you stated could also be an oil pump and or oil pump tensioner.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's possible the engine is dropping to a very low idle (almost stall) which may trigger the oil light, since OP mentioned this occurs when at idle or clutch in.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by climhazzard
It's possible the engine is dropping to a very low idle (almost stall) which may trigger the oil light, since OP mentioned this occurs when at idle or clutch in.
Yeah. The Ol' MAF sensor doesn't like vacuum leaks.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by climhazzard
I think you're on to something. OP, what is your idle rpm?

It could also be really low oil pressure all around, and at idle it just drops low enough to trip the sensor.

The first thing to do is get a new oil pressure sending unit, as already mentioned, since its cheap and easy to rule out. But while you have the old one out, connect an oil pressure gauge tool, that you can rent for free from Autozone, and see what your real oil pressure is, in psi.

Then you'll know if you have a real problem or not. That is the only way to tell if you have internal engine damage, without taking the whole engine apart, and its free, and inly a little more work while you are changing the sensor.

Do that, then report back what your oil pressure psi is at idle, and at like 2k rpm.

Also what your idle rpm is.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I'm off this weekend and will get it done and report back to you guys.

Rpm at idle is roughly 800 - 1k
When i drive it for awhile and it gets to operating temperature, at red lights it will flicker once I'm pop it out of gear and if i sit for a bit, the oil light will stay on until im on the throttle again.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Minh4o9
Thanks guys for the quick replies. I'm off this weekend and will get it done and report back to you guys.

Rpm at idle is roughly 800 - 1k
When i drive it for awhile and it gets to operating temperature, at red lights it will flicker once I'm pop it out of gear and if i sit for a bit, the oil light will stay on until im on the throttle again.
Kinda sounding like low oil pressure. What weight do you use?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

What is the story with the spark plug and it shutting off? Not sure it has anything to do with your current issue, but it could be a clue.

I agree that this sounds very much like an oil pressure issue vs a sensor.

Quick Reply: Oil light flickers *Oil is full*