S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil pressure light

Old 08-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure light

The oil pressure light has been coming on and off and I turn sharp or brake hard
So first thing I checked the oil level but it seems fine
And it prob has been 3k miles since the oil change I just bought the car so I don't know what exact oil they used but I am starting to worry
And when I opened the oil level rod little smoke came out
What is going on with my car ??
Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 1,451 Likes on 973 Posts

Screen on oil pickup maybe clogged.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Be sure you look at both sides of the dip stick, I've seen guys look at their dip stick and think they are full of oil but they are 2 qt's. low. Always go by the low side of the dip stick. I don't know what puts the oil on the high side of the dip stick but the engine can be very low on oil and one side of the dip stick will read full. Thats why you check both sides and go with the low side of the dip stick. If your low on oil one side will read lower than the other side. Low side is right the high side is wrong.

ROD
Old 08-16-2015, 12:05 PM

One of the first things I'd do is change just the oil filter. Take it off so you can cut it open, take a good look at the pleats. If you have parts going south the first place that crap goes is the oil filter.
Here is what a good filter should look like, If you have a stock S2000 oil filter it will look like the middle one in my pic.

The oil goes from the outside to the inside of the filter before the oil goes to the engine, just wrap a papertowel around the filter after you take it apart. That will soak up the oil but leave any junk on the filter(if there is any). Take your hand and spread the pleats apart and see if you have anything that should not be there. When parts go bad they leave alot of crap that you can see on the filter with just your eyes, very easy to see if you have a problem or not.

Good Luck,
ROD
Old 08-16-2015, 07:02 PM
Banned

I actually checked it again and both side and it was relatively very low comparing from the other side
I rushed to a shop and changed oil and now no light driving stronger and faster ! Thank you guys
Old 08-16-2015, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by rrounds
Be sure you look at both sides of the dip stick, I've seen guys look at their dip stick and think they are full of oil but they are 2 qt's. low. Always go by the low side of the dip stick. I don't know what puts the oil on the high side of the dip stick but the engine can be very low on oil and one side of the dip stick will read full. Thats why you check both sides and go with the low side of the dip stick. If your low on oil one side will read lower than the other side. Low side is right the high side is wrong.

ROD

It is because the engine sits at an angle. The side that reads low is almost always the drivers side of the dip stick.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:12 AM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

That and the windage tray is near the side that faces the engine.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but Your chance of engine failure has increased significantly now
Old 08-17-2015, 05:25 PM

You should have opened up the oil filter. You have no idea what was trapped(if anything) in the oil filter, thats like playing russian roulette with your engine.

ROD
Old 08-17-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by meccjoo
Originally Posted by rrounds' timestamp='1439754563' post='23716237

ROD

It is because the engine sits at an angle. The side that reads low is almost always the drivers side of the dip stick.
No, it isn't . It is 100% the windage tray. The engine isn't at an angle.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure light