S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil Starved

Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Starved

Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been asked before however I recently had my first track day in my MY03 S2000. During a medium right hand sweeper, I spun out pretty violanently twice and during the spin I noticed that the oil light came on briefly before the engine shut down. I was unable to restart the car for a good 5-7 minutes on both occasions.

Has this happened to anyone? Obviously this seems like an oil starvation issue but I haven't read of anyone having to wait so long until the car allowed them to start it back up.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

I've heard of oil starvation happening on long left hand high speed sweepers.

Maybe what you had was fuel starvation, causing the engine to cut out and that may have lead to your spinouts due to inbalance caused by fuel cut. The oil light may have just come on as you approached stall conditions.

What track was this ?. Mosport GP track is capable of causing both fuel and oil starvation if run hard enough. I think that is where I damaged my engine.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:44 PM

This happened at Cayuga. It couldn't have been fuel starvation because I was on more than half a tank of gas on both occasions. I also knew it was my fault for spinning out because of the line I took and the first time I lifted the throttle lol. The second time I spun I kept on the throttle and thought I caught it but my rear hit that bump on the 1st turn and spun me around the opposite way.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

That is an interesting set of events. I suggested fuel starvation simply because oil starvation wouldn't affect the re-starting of the engine in the way you have described, fuel starvation might.

Fuel starvation has occurred with a few of the track guys even with higher levels of fuel in the tank. There is no way for us to tell if you experienced it or not, but read through the post below and see if it relates to your experience:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/959...#entry21796230
Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Was it literally 5-7 minutes, or was it more like 60 seconds and it felt a lot longer with the adrenaline going?

The car does tend to be difficult to restart after a hard spin off and stall. The oil light was probably just due to the engine almost stalling just before it actually stalled. So generally I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:13 AM

That is an interesting set of events. I suggested fuel starvation simply because oil starvation wouldn't affect the re-starting of the engine in the way you have described, fuel starvation might. <br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">Fuel starvation has occurred with a few of the track guys even with higher levels of fuel in the tank. There is no way for us to tell if you experienced it or not, but read through the post below and see if it relates to your experience:<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

Thanks for the link! I had no idea about the fuel issue. The tank being up as high as it was I didn't even give it a second thought.

Was it literally 5-7 minutes, or was it more like 60 seconds and it felt a lot longer with the adrenaline going? <br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); "><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">The car does tend to be difficult to restart after a hard spin off and stall. The oil light was probably just due to the engine almost stalling just before it actually stalled. So generally I wouldn't worry about it.

It was in fact a literal 5-7 minutes believe it or not. They had to shut the track down and get the safety truck out since I was stuck with no way of moving on the track. The first time I spun, the safety truck waited tried to call in the tow truck to get me off but he couldn't get through. Luckily just at that moment the car restarted as well and I limped it to the pits.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:47 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

just wondering what tires your on (g forces your seeing)
Old 07-04-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

The restarting is not oil related. If you spin the car and failed to put the clutch down you forced the motor in reverse. In general spinning the car, leading to a stall, will see re-start issues.

How you saw the oil light in the spin is beyond me.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 AM

My tires are the Star Specs. 205 fronts, and 225's rear.

All three times I spun I depressed the clutch completely. Not that it's not a possibility that I did spin the motor backwards but I had my foot the the floor on the clutch when I came to a stop on all three occasions.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM

im leaning more towards fuel starvation...i highly doubt its a serious issue, you should be good

Quick Reply: Oil Starved