S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil weight for winter storage?

Old 10-17-2003, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil weight for winter storage?

Just wondering what weight to use for winter storage since it'll be just sitting there vegetating

Thanx,
Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 07:04 AM

If you are not planning on starting it up every week, I would just change the oil, using the same grade you have been using. If you do plan on weekly starts (I don't recommend that, but to each his own3d) use 5W-40. Make sure you warm it up after the oil change to get all that new oil in all the cracks and crevices.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:20 AM

Why do you not reccomend weekly start-ups?

Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 12:11 PM

I have had many cars. I have stored them many times. Sometimes I would be gone for 3 weeks, sometimes 6 months.
On the short periods I would just top off the gas tank. When I came back, fire er up and go.
During the 6 monthers, I would do all the typical lay-up stuff. Come back, drop er down, connect the battery and easily burn out the old gas.

I don't recommend starting a cold engine unless you are going to go for a drive an fully warm your car up. If you plan on a long lay-up, this would be a PITA.
Most wear comes at the start. The less you start the car, the less wear you will have. It's as simple as that.
Most all the oil has drained down into the sump. The film of oil no longer protects surfaces, until the oil pump gets a move on. There are a lot more things going on. But I really don't have all the info at hand and my typing speed sucks.

Conduct a couple of searches and see what you come up with. There has been some very good info posted on this subject.

Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This gets asked and answered all the time, but here we go again.

If you have the cash, and want to obsess over the absolute best thing to do, fill it with Red Line. The esters have a electrical polarity affinity for the negatively charged metals in the drivetrain, and will leave enough residue to ensure some oil film no matter how long the car sits - that is not always the case with regular oils, where gravity will win out.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Road Rage
This gets asked and answered all the time, but here we go again.

If you have the cash, and want to obsess over the absolute best thing to do, fill it with Red Line. The esters have a electrical polarity affinity for the negatively charged metals in the drivetrain, and will leave enough residue to ensure some oil film no matter how long the car sits - that is not always the case with regular oils, where gravity will win out.
Thanx alot

Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 11:50 PM

I would recommend a fully synthetic 5w-30 motor oil. There are a lot of good brands, mobil, castrol, valvoline and redline are a few. It is true that 80 percent of all wear takes place at startup. It is not bad to start your engine as long as you don't start revving it up after you start it. If you look in your owners manuel, it states that driving less than 5 miles is considered severe driving. That is because you never burn the carbon out of the combustion chamber and you don't burn the water out of the tail pipe. The tail pipe and mufflers will rust. In the winter, this is even more severe. If you start your car, just make sure you get it good and hot every time.