S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Passenger Side Trunk Leak

Old 02-21-2007, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Passenger Side Trunk Leak

When it rains and the water falls on the soft top, the water runs down into the rain gutters but a small portion of the water runs into the trunk. I have a couple of pictures of the trunk and have pointed out (boxed) where it leaks.

What I'm wondering is that when I see water falling in the first black drawn box, I can see the water but it doesn't collect in the trunk. The water just passes through. Where does the water lead to / end up? Can I just leave it alone?

Second, I see the water leaking or squeezing out of the second area I boxed. It leaks out between the two pieces of metal. Can I epoxy that area or am I only hiding the problem. Will the water collect someplace else and cause more harm?

As you see all those rust stains are from years of water leaking!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:54 PM

=O .. =/ my trunk looks semi stripped like yours too. BUT no leaking.. im not sure what the problem is =/
Old 02-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 266 Posts

The soft top has a rain rail riveted to it's edge that is supposed to collect the H20 running off the top and have it drain through 2 body drains on easch side.

If you have H20 leaking from above you may have a hole in the rain rail. It would also be wise t make sure the drains on both sides of the soft top are not blocked.

As far as a leak between the sheetmetal seam, you can use a silicone caulk or seam sealer to stop it from coming in the trunk.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:20 PM

My passenger side drain was plugged and after a fairly long rain it will get backed up and end up in my trunk.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had LOTS of water through multiple leaks. I had water in the area you indicated. However, I don't think it was coming off the softtop. There's a little strip between quarterpanel and the back deck of the car. Under that strip there is a welded seam. I think the water may be coming from there. It may also be coming from the antenna.

What you need to do is take a hose and try different possibilities. See if water on the softtop gets in. See if water on the antenna gets in. Etc.

Also, water can be pumped in like crazy from the spray from the tires if there is any leak. So if it's not raining but the roads are wet, see if that is the source of the water instead.

Be methodical and don't assume for sure that the obvious answers are the problems.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM

I did use a water bottle and squirted the soft top area and waited inside the trunk for water. I also placed newspaper all over the trunk to find the water leak, and it does leak from the soft top riveted area.

Slows2k - how do you check the drains of the rain rail?

-Thanks!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 287 Likes on 266 Posts

Run H20 over the top and check that It's draining on both sides of the car, in front of each wheel.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 PM

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I'm having the same problem, I thought water was coming into my truck (under the tools) from the rear air inlet (many people silcon that to get a better seal) but that was not my case, it is coming from the passenger side gutter ( I think it is clogged) and therefore is overflowing into the trunk, when I spray water on the passenger rear side of the soft top, a nice stream of water comes gushing into my trunk ( probably like 90 percent of the water I sprayed in that area)

1) How do I remove this gutter to clean?

2) If only way is to remove soft top, how do I clean as is? ( I saw a post that said you can use a special vacum w/ a vinyl hose? (where can i find those?) thanks

Pretty bad, I should resolve this issue before the end of summer!!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM

sorry to revive once more, but mine is leaking in the exact same spots.

Rain rain no dirty

drains not clogged

no holes in gutter or top

it seems that the wtaer is simple running over the top of the rain gutter and leaking into the trunk.

any ideas to fix???
Old 09-16-2009, 04:30 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

The only way water should back up and spill over the gutter is if the drainage system isn't working. If the sink area under the brushes isn't clogged with leaves, I'd still recommend snaking the drain hose from below. Accumulated debris can easily clog the hose - that's what caused my leak.

Quick Reply: Passenger Side Trunk Leak