S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Pinnacle braking system - applicable to other models?

Old 10-02-2002, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinnacle braking system - applicable to other models?

Been looking at the Pinnacle braking system, and was wondering how possible it would be for it to be adapted to other cars . . . .

For example, the 5th generation Prelude & RSX share the same bolt pattern as the S2000, so the rotors should bolt up. The big question marks (from what I can think of) would be the adapter plates for the caliper mounting, and brake bias.

Obviously the S2000 has a different weight distribution & brake bias requirements than the various Honda front-drive models, so I suppose it's possible that rotor & piston diameters designed for the S2000 may be less than ideal on a different application.

Any thoughts on the feasibility of this?
Old 10-02-2002, 12:49 PM

PM dwb1, he is the man to ask about this.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:38 PM

We have CAD drawings complete for two other applications at this time , the new RSX and the 98 to 2000 Type R . We did all the required measuring , but have yet to produce kits . Both people that were originally requesting kits did not step up to the plate when it came time to purchase .

All of the parts between cars require different offsets , hub holes are different and a few other items . We can tune the kit to the weight transfer and use of the vehicle .

Most owners of the cars that don't have the S-2000 performance , are interested in cheaper kits or kits that don't improve braking, but add the "Look" .

I am always impressed with the big brake kit installs in the magazines that almost always reduce performance , but the author finds some way to justify their use . When you install any rotor large enough you should reduce fade , but the handling and braking ability will suffer . I also like how some brand names will make your car stop better , just by the name itself . Matching the parts to the car and your intended use ,is the way to develop a system , not put the biggest things you can find on and aspect improved performance.

Brad
Pinnacle braking Systems
Old 10-03-2002, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the response, I agree with your sentiments on people going for a big-brake upgrade simply becuase it "should" work better. 90% of the big-brake upgrades out there just don't inspire any confidence in a well-read consumer.

I'm currently pretty satisfied with the braking performance on my '97 Prelude, which sees only street/daily driving duty (and pretty non-extreme braking situations). A mild pad upgrade (Axxis Ultimates) & some DOT 4 fluid provide enough performance for me, and some zinc-coated rotors & cleaned/painted calipers take care of the aesthetics. I may upgrade to some stainless steel brake lines to improve pedal feel, but that's probably about it.

But within 6 months to a year I'll be considering either the new Accord coupe or an RSX-S, and I'd strongly consider a Pinnacle system if it was available for the application. Being that it'd probably be a limited release sort of thing, how much more expensive do you think one of those applications would be over the cost for the S2000 kit?

Thanks . . . .
Old 10-03-2002, 08:01 PM

Most all the parts are close to the same . Price will be the same as S-2000 kit.

Brad