S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Potholes

Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potholes

I recently had my car aligned with UK specs. No more than 2 weekends later, I hit a pothole with my front right wheel and I am getting rubbing issues that I've never had before, but only when I turn left. I initially think (and still do) it is toe misaligned (more toe in). I'm going to get my car aligned again this weekend but I want to get personal experiences from other people who have hit potholes pretty hard. The one i hit was one of those that are one inch wide but one mile deep. I was going maybe like 20 - 25mph when I hit it.

Right now, I'm afraid it might be more than toe issues. I had my oil changed this past weekend at the dealership and while it was on the lift, I took a quick glimpse around and didn't notice anything odd.

When I have it on the rack this Saturday, what areas should I check for? What are your experiences with potholes? Has anyone hit a pothole so hard that it broke something?

BTW, I'm lowered with almost one finger gap on front and loose one finger gap in rear.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 11:09 AM

No problems so far. I got the ill swerve skills.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Danks2k,May 15 2008, 02:09 PM
No problems so far. I got the ill swerve skills.
I swerve like crazy too but I was behind a Jeep when all of a sudden it appeared out of no where and I hit it
Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 AM

yeah i feel ya, traffic ahead of you especially if its a large vehicle like a jeep can catch you by surprise with potholes. All around my neighborhood there are crews re-grooming the asphalt, and there are random potholes in all areas, and at night its even worse, but lke Danks2k said, I just try to swerve out of the way..
Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its like playing a game of dodge ball!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks, anwyays what should I check for when it's on the alignment rack? Control Arms? Axle? Anything I might have bent? The quick glimpse I had last weekend wasn't thorough at all so I will try to take my time and look. Any help is appreciated
Old 05-15-2008, 12:18 PM

sorry to hijack this thread but what is uk spec? Hows that different then what the stock is aligned to?
Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 PM

uk sped has -1.0 front and -2.0 rear camber. Makes the car feel so much better around corners.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For dealing with surprise potholes I can't swerve around, I typically resort to lots of swearing combined with fantasizing about blowing holes in the parking lot at the local Department of Transportation so as to spread the pothole lovin' to the most deserving people.

Atlanta is serious about their potholes. If the road takes to long to develop them naturally, the DOT will go out and make some. Big square-edged holes six inches deep that stick around for six or eight months before someone decides to fill them with too much asphalt so the six-inch hole becomes a four-inch bump.

Seriously, I think the Georgia DOT is merely a government work program for the mentally ill.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harry, I've hit some big pot holes in my day and never got any rubbing. I'd check to see if the wheel well liner got jarred loose. I would think you would have had to hit that pot hold pretty damn hard for it to bend something in the suspension. Check the alignment and get that sorted. If that is not the issue, then you'll obviously have to check all the suspension pieces for damage.

On a side note, are you running stock wheel/tire sizes?

Quick Reply: Potholes