S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Powdercoating process?

Old 02-19-2001, 12:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

I recently powdercoated my mugen rims and was curious about the process. It only took one day, and as I understand only an hour or so for the "shooting" Does anyone know what the actual process is? And benefits I know include durability, strength, and durability.
I was told the mugen rims were not powdercoated previously, and the "gold" took about an hour for them to remove. Whereas now I am told (after the coating shot twice) that it's virtually impossible to remove otr damage. Something I can attest to as the amount of pressure torqued on my lug nuts was easily twice factory. And after much strain managed to get them off n....o scratches to the nuts or coating. I am sold on this process!

FYI: I am doing a group buy for bay area folks at great prices offered by the store owner. Colors and chromes are limitless.

Just wanted any known downside.

marcus

[Edited by viscreal2000 on 02-19-2001 at 01:48 AM]
Old 02-19-2001, 07:38 AM

Yeah, it works kinda like a laser printer... You give the rim a negative charge and the powder a positive charge and dust the rim with the powder. It will stick because of the charge. Then you bake it and it fuses to the rim or whatever metal you're powdercoating (like toner in a laser printer).

BTW, I like the color you went with. Kinda a high-gloss/metallic gunmetal color. Nice. Any idea what kind of coating Mugen used?
Old 02-19-2001, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you can even get powder coat kits, and coat stuff if you can fit it in your oven.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:54 PM
SaV

Hahaha! Oh man, Marcus I love your cool little background . Where did you take that picture at? Your rims look nice. Too bad they aren't 18's. Latez!
Old 02-20-2001, 03:24 AM
Banned

Thanks Rev,

I like the color too. Mugen gold? I'm not really sure. It did'nt look like paint, but since they got it off quickly I would imagine something other than powder coating. your guess as good as mine.

Sav.......It's nice to see you in the land of the living!

cliff- "Hahaha! Oh man, Marcus I love your cool little background ." .... m- No advertising my batcave

your still impetuous I see...

cliff-"Too bad they aren't 18's"

The reason they're 17's ... read "plus sizing thread"... sigh..... do I have to spank you and your s2k....again?
(:
Old 02-28-2001, 06:30 AM

I am looking to purchase a set of powdercoated white wheels from another board member, do you know if it would be difficult to powdercoat it an anthracite color?
Old 02-28-2001, 06:33 AM

Not difficult at all. The guy that powdercoated my rims said I could use pretty much anything I wanted to clean the rims except for I think it was acetone. Anyway, whatever chemical he said it was - takes the coating right off.
Old 02-28-2001, 07:22 AM

huh? How about the COATING?
Old 02-28-2001, 03:58 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Removing powder coating from Aluminum can be a pain sometimes. The normal way to remove old powder coat is to over cook (burn) it and lightly bead blast. With Aluminum the temp you need to over cook some powders (some TGIC Polyesters and Aliphatic Urethanes) is high enough to melt Aluminum. Luckily these same powders that are resistant to over cooking are sometimes the same ones that are less resistant to chemicals, so chemically removing is an option. Again, luckily the powders that are very chemical & solvent resistant (most Epoxies and Aromatic Urethanes) are the ones that are easier to over cook.
In conclusion, if there's a will there's most likely a way
GOODLUCK!
Old 02-28-2001, 05:21 PM

What I meant was, who brought up removing the powdercoat?

At the same time was curious to know the answer to autoEX's question.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating process?