S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Radiators

Old 10-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Radiators

With the age of our cars, those on the OEM radiators should look for signs of stress cracks along the upper hose, and one of the brackets for the radiator fan bolt. Once those stress cracks start showing it's only a matter of time before it starts leaking in that area, and you might as well start saving up for an all aluminum one. Shame too because the OEM radiator core is a fantastic design, very thin and allows a lot of room in the engine bay, aftermarket radiators are thicker because they're not as efficient or designed for racing purposes.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

I just replaced my stock one at 140k (a couple of weeks ago). Hairline crack across the top tank. Luckilly was just seeping a bit and did not all out fail on me on the highway.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
I just replaced my stock one at 140k (a couple of weeks ago). Hairline crack across the top tank. Luckilly was just seeping a bit and did not all out fail on me on the highway.
Aluminum or OEM? Thank god these don't leak like other radiators with plastic end tanks, those usually tend to leave a trail of tears.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Aluminum or OEM? Thank god these don't leak like other radiators with plastic end tanks, those usually tend to leave a trail of tears.
I went with OEM from Honda. Main reason is I had an autocross event in a week and had to get something that is STR legal (no lighter than OEM, same core dimensions, etc) and would arrive in time to install, which meant it had to get to me in 2 days since I only had small parts of a day available to work on it on the weekend. So, I ended up going through the local dealership, which costs a chunk more than Majestic Honda, since they could get it in time. If it lasts another 140,000 miles I will be ok with it :P But do wish it would have lasted longer to start with.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Dang it. I thought the OEM stuff lasted forever. Wonder if I should order one for the inevitable.
The following users liked this post:
Pinky (10-23-2019)
Old 10-24-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently changed out my radiator due to a crack near the filler neck (‘02, 130k miles). My car is an all stock AP1, and I want to keep it that way as much as possible. The OE AP1 Denso radiator is no longer available from Denso, so I chose the Koyo “OE” style radiator with the plastic tank and all.

I had a heard of (minor) fitment problems with Mishomito and Koyo racing thick all aluminum radiators as well as not playing nice with the stock A/C while idling, and had no need for increased cooling capacity as my car only sees street driving.

Koyo “OE style” dropped right in (and has a coolant temp sensor adapter to fit both AP1 & AP2). $130 from partsgeek and I’m satisfied. The radiator appears to be high quality and dropped right in.

There are several “OE style” rads available from companies like Spectra, autozone and oreilly house brand, rock auto etc. While I didn’t have time or money to compare them, one has to wonder how many different manufacturers are actually producing radiators for a near 20yo limited production Honda model, maybe they are all the same?
Old 10-24-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by solitarycheese
...The OE AP1 Denso radiator is no longer available from Denso, ...
Looks like Majestic has them -

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...radiator-denso
Old 10-24-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Time for a Mr. Sideways radiator with SPAL fans
Old 10-24-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

With the age of these cars I’m surprised that anyone is still actually on the stock radiator still.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by solitarycheese
I recently changed out my radiator due to a crack near the filler neck (‘02, 130k miles). My car is an all stock AP1, and I want to keep it that way as much as possible. The OE AP1 Denso radiator is no longer available from Denso, so I chose the Koyo “OE” style radiator with the plastic tank and all.

I had a heard of (minor) fitment problems with Mishomito and Koyo racing thick all aluminum radiators as well as not playing nice with the stock A/C while idling, and had no need for increased cooling capacity as my car only sees street driving.

Koyo “OE style” dropped right in (and has a coolant temp sensor adapter to fit both AP1 & AP2). $130 from partsgeek and I’m satisfied. The radiator appears to be high quality and dropped right in.

There are several “OE style” rads available from companies like Spectra, autozone and oreilly house brand, rock auto etc. While I didn’t have time or money to compare them, one has to wonder how many different manufacturers are actually producing radiators for a near 20yo limited production Honda model, maybe they are all the same?
OE style radiators are refurbished oem ones. New end tanks slapped on the core.

Quick Reply: Radiators