S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Under The Hood (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/)
-   -   Really bad fuel economy after tune (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-under-hood-22/really-bad-fuel-economy-after-tune-1182118/)

ryiin2 02-20-2018 10:42 PM

Really bad fuel economy after tune

I got my car tuned a few weeks ago and well while the tune seems fine (power is good), I have lost a lot of fuel economy. Before on the greddy emanage ultimate system that I was on I would average 230-250 miles per tank. Whereas now that I am using the aem v2 and re tuned I get maybe 130-150miles per tank.

My AFR are currently only managed via open loop because I haven't wired my wideband into the aem. Could this be a huge culprit? Also on a cold start I often have very very very little power and will be running very rich 11-12.5 @ idle, after about 30minutes it goes up to 13.3/13.6 @ idle. I'm also going to get replace my plugs just in case.

Thanks for your input.

RolanTHUNDER 02-20-2018 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by ryiin2 (Post 24422846)
I got my car tuned a few weeks ago and well while the tune seems fine (power is good), I have lost a lot of fuel economy. Before on the greddy emanage ultimate system that I was on I would average 230-250 miles per tank. Whereas now that I am using the aem v2 and re tuned I get maybe 130-150miles per tank.

My AFR are currently only managed via open loop because I haven't wired my wideband into the aem. Could this be a huge culprit? Also on a cold start I often have very very very little power and will be running very rich 11-12.5 @ idle, after about 30minutes it goes up to 13.3/13.6 @ idle. I'm also going to get replace my plugs just in case.

Thanks for your input.

That's exactly the problem - over-fuelling. If you take a whiff of your dipstick after a drive does it smell like gasoline? Like a strong smell of gas?

If you replace your plugs I highly recommend NGK Iridium race plugs (BKR8EIX). Higher detonation threshold and tangible improvement in performance throughout the rev range on NA or boosted cars.

ryiin2 02-21-2018 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER (Post 24422854)
That's exactly the problem - over-fuelling. If you take a whiff of your dipstick after a drive does it smell like gasoline? Like a strong smell of gas?

If you replace your plugs I highly recommend NGK Iridium race plugs (BKR8EIX). Higher detonation threshold and tangible improvement in performance throughout the rev range on NA or boosted cars.

Gotcha, If I wire the wideband into the aem v2, will it be able to automatically adjust to the new input or will I need to have my tuner mess with the tune?

RolanTHUNDER 02-21-2018 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ryiin2 (Post 24423012)
Gotcha, If I wire the wideband into the aem v2, will it be able to automatically adjust to the new input or will I need to have my tuner mess with the tune?

It should automatically adjust but for safety sake get your tuner to give it a once over immediately after the install to make sure.

ryiin2 02-22-2018 07:29 AM

thanks mate

RolanTHUNDER 02-22-2018 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by ryiin2 (Post 24423557)
thanks mate

My pleasure :)

flanders 02-22-2018 10:49 PM

You don't need a wideband to run the car in closed loop, if you still got the stock one installed and connected just enable it.
Using a wideband is ofc better so switch to that if you can.
Unless your tuner spent many hours doing part throttle tuning running the car in open loop is a very bad idea.

ryiin2 02-22-2018 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by flanders (Post 24423901)
You don't need a wideband to run the car in closed loop, if you still got the stock one installed and connected just enable it.
Using a wideband is ofc better so switch to that if you can.
Unless your tuner spent many hours doing part throttle tuning running the car in open loop is a very bad idea.

I do have a wideband on the car it just wasn't spliced into the C16 pin. It wasn't giving any input into the ECU. I contacted my tuner and he said that he needs to "modify the 02 closed loop tables".

I don't know much about the tune. From driving it though it just sucks when it's cold and burns/wastes a lot more fuel than before over 100miles worth per tank.

flanders 02-22-2018 10:58 PM

Most of those problems should go away with a functioning closed loop.