S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rear end diagnosis

Old 07-14-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear end diagnosis

I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on what may be broken on my car. I was pulling out of a parking lot pretty aggressively, managed to break traction a little. All the sudden I hear a loud POP and I lose power to the wheels. I coast into the next parking lot. I get out and visually inspect the rear end, assuming it's a blown differential. There are no visual signs that anything is broken. No holes blown in the differential, no oil leaking, and nothing seems to be out of place. I crank the car, put it in 1st and start to let out the clutch. The car inches forward and gives off a loud "clack, clack, clack" from the rear of the car. Same thing happens in reverse. Does this sound typical of a blown differential? I've got a friend that broke an axle and said it sounds just like what happened to his car, hopefully that's it... Any thoughts, input, or condolences are graciously accepted
Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grab a flashlight, and a mirror. now have a friend help. go out to the car, and aim the mirror so you can see the diff. have him try to move the car, if its an axle (most likely inner joint) youll see the output hubs from the diff (one or the other) spinning with the inner joint, and the axle not moving (of course). that is the side inner joint which needs to be replaced.
IF neither moves, and you hear neat noises coming from inside the diff case, then you know you differential itself has failed. not the housing, or it would be split and leaking, but the differential unit inside. either way, this isnt too bad. the axle can be repaired. order new inner and rebuild it yourself. OR take the axle out, send it to a driveshaft place local, and they will rebuild it. then you just reinstall. if its diff, then someone who knows should touch it. you can ship it to me, and ill fix it. or if someone who is pro closer to you can do it, have them. let me know. talk soon. dave
Old 07-14-2007, 09:36 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the input, that should certainly help in the diagnosis. The car is still sitting in a parking lot right now, while I'm at home crying... Gonna get it towed home tomorrow morning. I'll be praying it's just an axle.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:05 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a used diff from a wrecking company for $500 instead of the $3000 that Honda will charge you.

And if it's the diff, feel free to add the PWND DIFF image to your signature....
Old 07-15-2007, 08:04 AM

Update: I got it home, put it on jack stands, cranked it up and everything seemed fine. I couldn't really figure out what s2000nvegas was saying, but did a few tests of my own (not sure if they actually mean anything). You can grab either wheel and stop it, while the other keeps spinning (is that normal?). You cannot stop both tires at the same time. Also, the axle boot on the driver's side appears to be twisted. I'm going to get a socket so I can drain the diff fluid, that should tell a good bit more.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What you describe sounds pretty similar to when the diff blew in my car.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber,Jul 15 2007, 10:29 AM
What you describe sounds pretty similar to when the diff blew in my car.
Agreed... I would be surprised if it is anything less.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Drained the diff fluid, it's crystal clear, very few shavings on the plug. Certainly nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What S2oooNvegas was saying is that if it's an axle when you have the car on the ground and you let the clutch out you will see the inner axle hub turning while you hear that "clack clack clack". If you hear that noise and neither inner cv hub is turning, then it's your diff.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

A couple pics of the axle (you can see the twist in the boot I was talking about).

I'm going to refill the differential later and try the test you guys recommended.

Quick Reply: Rear end diagnosis