S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

recent idiling concern

Old 07-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recent idiling concern

hey, I got up this morning and turned on my car like usual but I noticed that the engine was not idiling smoothly and the check engine light was on. After a about 30 secs of idiling the engine light started to blink and I shut the engine off. All my fluids are full, the small one towards the firewall is low but i dont think that would cause this problem...any suggestions as to what the problem is? BTW my car is a stock 01 with about 42000 miles on it. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR.

if the check engine light is blinking, this means there is something MAJORLY wrong. starting the car up again could cause even greater damage.

did you recently mis-shift or something? or over rev by shifting to the wrong gear?

get the car towed to a dealership. that's probably your only option.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:21 PM

ok...thank you, i will not start the car again. I didnt mis shift or anything, i have a couple times when i first got the car but that was a few years go, since then i have not. maybe a bad batch of gas? Hopefully. Anyway the cars have a 100K powertrain warrenty dont they?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:38 PM

i dont remember the specifics on the power train warranty, but i believe that's correct.

i am doubtful a bad batch of gas would cause this. when the check engine light blinks, it is often something major. a valve could have dropped into a piston, or something else like that. who knows. hopefully honda will cover it though.

please keep us up to date!
Old 07-17-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 1,299 Likes on 791 Posts

Blinking=Misfire which is great enough to damage the cat. converter.

In addition, if you lost spark, raw fuel will washout the cyl wall and score it.

So, tow truck time.

Here's your best advice: check the oil, be sure it's on the full mark.
If you have an intake, you may want to put your stock one back on. It seems the dealers will say anything they can to avoid the Warranty service.

I had a customer (Qsilver7) Who had blinking CEL, final result was a broken retainer and bent valve.
He had it towed to the dealer. Without even plugging in the scanner or popping the hood, they told him whoever put the radio in prolly ruined the electronics and he's not covered

I was very close to going down there and stand at the door, to tell incoming customers how they screw people.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:54 PM

Thankyou. good advice, I just have a K&N filter and tubing that goes from the faux vent to the air box, i will probably plug that up with a drain plug i have.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 296 Likes on 275 Posts

There is no 100K powertrain warranty from Honda. The original new car warranty is 3yrs/36k.

You can buy an extended warranty which has limited coverage. Neither the original or extended warranty always cover "everything".

It is up to the deale to prove any damage was caused by an aftermarket part, or driver error, such as a overrev and missed shift.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:41 PM

i was thinking of the certified used car warranty that comes on a used honda. if you get a certified honda, it comes with a 100k/7 year power train warranty. it is NOT a hondacare warranty.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:23 AM

well, it turns out it was hydro lock from a week ago that some how caused the engine to fail now. Now we are talking to the insurance company to get a new 8100 dollar replacement. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:13 PM

do you have a CAI?

Quick Reply: recent idiling concern