S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Replace Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders

Old 10-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders

My 2000 S2000 (68,000 miles) just started having problems with the clutch not readily disengaging. The pedal is real soft until just above the floor when the resistance picks up. The travel from there is just about an inch.

The gears are hard to engage, particularly from rest.

I checked the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder and it was ever so slightly low so I added a teaspoon (maybe a jigger is a more appropriate measure). That didn't make a difference.

When I took it to the Honda dealer (that I've had good service experience with) today they said the clutch master and slave cylinders were both leaking and needed to be replaced. Their estimate was $700. This seemed high to me but I don't really have anything to base that on.

Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis and a reasonable price?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been fortunate that I found an independent shop within walking distance of my house that is honest and does decent work. ASME certified shop. Their Honda dealer charges them full retail so I picked up the parts for them at another dealer that charges Majestic Honda prices. Master cylinder was $85.80, Slave cylinder was $61.07, labor was $117.00. Total was $274.15. I think your dealer is screwing you.

Full retail for the parts was $203.99 plus tax so your dealer is charging you almost $500 for labor
Old 10-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraKitty
I have been fortunate that I found an independent shop within walking distance of my house that is honest and does decent work. ASME certified shop. Their Honda dealer charges them full retail so I picked up the parts for them at another dealer that charges Majestic Honda prices. Master cylinder was $85.80, Slave cylinder was $61.07, labor was $117.00. Total was $274.15. I think your dealer is screwing you.

Full retail for the parts was $203.99 plus tax so your dealer is charging you almost $500 for labor
I called the service writer back. He said the list price for the parts was just under $300. There were 3 hours of labor at $100/hour. Then taxes on top of that.

How can I find the list price of the parts and the flat rate labor time estimate?

I'm reluctant to try to move the car with the clutch acting up.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Majestic Honda website for a price reference. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Or Honda Parts Unlimited in Phoenix http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/

They list full retail and your discounted prices.

The flat rates book gives the estimated time and the shop determines their own hourly rate.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 PM

google search for s2ki diy clutch bleed. this may improve your current situation and allow you the confidence to move it.

at least you will see the clutch system, i think you would have been more than a jigger low if the 2 needed replacment.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM
mlc

Lets just say it $700 is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous!!!

Usually it is just the master cylinder that is bad and they are just soaking you for the slave. I can do the master in about 2 hours with SEVERAL beers and that includes bleeding the system.

If there is fluid in the system them you should be able to drive the car. Feel the carpet under the clutch pedal and on top of the dead pedal to see if you feel brake fluid. Also take a look at the cylinder that the rod that is attached to the clutch pedal goes into. If it looks wet around it then most likely the MC is bad and allowing some air to get in the system.

The MC is $85 +shipping at Majestic http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...DER+%28-+03%29 .

PLEASE tell that stealership to pound sand and find someone honest to do the work. I don't mind if a business makes a buck but damn that is just wrong.

Sorry rant off

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by mlc
Lets just say it $700 is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous!!!

Usually it is just the master cylinder that is bad and they are just soaking you for the slave. I can do the master in about 2 hours with SEVERAL beers and that includes bleeding the system.

If there is fluid in the system them you should be able to drive the car. Feel the carpet under the clutch pedal and on top of the dead pedal to see if you feel brake fluid. Also take a look at the cylinder that the rod that is attached to the clutch pedal goes into. If it looks wet around it then most likely the MC is bad and allowing some air to get in the system.

The MC is $85 +shipping at Majestic http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...DER+%28-+03%29 .

PLEASE tell that stealership to pound sand and find someone honest to do the work. I don't mind if a business makes a buck but damn that is just wrong.

Sorry rant off

Good luck.
Thanks for the rant. It is educational for me.

The dealership has been very honest with me in previous transactions. I too wonder about both clutch cylinders going bad simultaneously.

Even after topping off the clutch master cylinder the clutch was reluctant to disengage. Makes me wonder about air in the system which bleeding would address but since the clutch hasn't had a recent repair it seems to me that SOMETHING has to be letting air into the system.

Given the age of the vehicle I'm not opposed to replacing both clutch cylinders for a reasonable parts price.

3 hours of labor at $100/hours seems excessive to me. What is the Mitchell flat rate for both clutch cylinder replacements?

I've put the service writer on notice that I'm going to go over the charges in great detail.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:22 PM
mlc

Very common for the MC to go bad, so I wouldn't be surprised if it needed to be changed. Bleeding the system would buy you some time.

I don't know what the book calls for on that job.

Maybe if you show the service writer that the parts are $150 that will help, not sure what they will do on the labor.

If you have some basic tools it is not that hard of a job to do yourself, just search for a DYI on it.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Here's the work order. They gave me a courtesy credit on both parts and labor but that didn't really make a dent. Looks like 2.5 hours of labor at $126.64. It does drive MUCH better.

I'm still confused on the difference in the dealer's list price on the parts and the list price from Majestic Honda.

Replace Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders-w5nofau.jpg
Old 10-08-2013, 07:31 PM

could've done it yourself in a few hours and saved hundreds. shame you spent so much.

Quick Reply: Replace Clutch Master/Slave Cylinders