S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rivet sizing?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rivet sizing?

I just bought a soft top twill grain vinyl and it didn't come with any rivets. I bought a rivet gun from Advance auto and it came with some rivets but I'm not sure if it will fit. Does anyone know which size rivet I need to get the soft top installed and completed?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

there's instructions here and elsewhere and it says what size you need.

The rivets specified are 4mm outer diameter in the Honda service manual. It looks like 3 per side, but it could be more.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's one of the popular size, i used a box of those from harbor freight when i put on my new top(didn't come with elastic band or rivets)
Old 03-28-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used big fender washers to help spread the load. You're talking about the rain gutter fasteners right?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 AM

I doubt we have Harbor Freights here in ATL,GA and the closest store we hav around these neck of the woods are Home Depot, Lowe's, and your average Advance and Autozone. I'm not sure how many rivets I need for the rain gutter(which I don't even know what that is) or what size is needed. I don't have acess to a manual since I bought the car used. "iam7head" I heard I need elastic bands too what or where did you get your's and how did you modifiy it to work properly for the top?

I saw the DIY on here and it doesn't mention about the elastic bands or what size rivets I need. Man this is starting to turn out harder than I thought.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ahh. The band rivets. I forgot about those. Just drill one out and eyeball it. It's not critical. I don't even use the elastic strap anymore honestly. They usually wear out every three years and I just push the bar back with my free hand when the top loosens up on its way back.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:48 AM

Late bump but I'm back to try to tackle this job again. I saw an old post about someone installing their top but no rivets were mentioned. Anyone have the slightest clue on the sizes? I am working on the car in the country side (where it is safe and sound from f@#kKing Thieves) and driving to the store would be a 30 mile stretch! Help Please!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Just installed my new top I purchased from Autotopsdirect. First let me say to just take your time and go over each before you actually perform it. I had a hard time finding the right size rivets but eventually ended up using 3/16" x 1/2". They worked fine. If you don't have a rivet gun or don't want to use rivets you can use 3/8" binder post. Just Google binder post for a picture. I know Lowes carries them.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 AM

I got the top on with 6-8 hours of laboring. Not as hard as I thought but just time comsuming for the most part. I am having issues with the top though. I can't close the top completely flush if the second bow is wrapped. So right now I have the second to last bow unwrapped and it latches flush. If I wrap that bow, the top will face upward and I would have to use mass force for it to latch, but the top will not be flushed and there would be a 1/2 inch gap in the front. How would I go about wrapping that bow?I was thinking about leaving it in the sun for a few days and then wrapping it.

The top I bought will not allow me to wrap the last bow. It does have the section to stick the last bow in there, but you can not fit a bow in that section without taking the last bow apart and off. Also I might add that when I driving at high speeds and open the window, the droopy section between the last two bows would flap around due t the wind in the cabin. Has anyone encountered the same issues as I have or did I install it wrong? What is needed to correct these issues?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 AM

I just did a water leak test and it's leaking on the rubber seals by the window and the water is falling on my shoulder. The driver side has pretty good drops of water and the passenger is just showing one drop. When I peeled of the rubber seals I noticed that it had some type of glue on the seals and the top to seal to the frame. What type of glue is this? Do I need it? Also, I noticed that I had water in my spare tire. I did not use any rivets and now I'm wondering if the rivet holes have sometime to do with it, since its not used.

Ohh, and I still can't shut the top completely with the second to last bar wrapped. It will however close perfectly with just the front (where the handle is) and the first bar.