Rotor temperatures - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rotor temperatures

Old 09-19-2018, 05:57 AM
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 59
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default Rotor temperatures

What are normal rotor temperatures right after a spririted drive? Should I be worried if one of the rotors is above 100 celcius? (A waterdrop boils off, so i know its 100C or above. You hear it sshhhhhh like if you drop water on a hot iron). No temp gun.

specifically the rear rotors.

info please. No estimated guesses please. Thanks!

PS. A replacement caliper is on order, but it might take another week to arrive. So fix recommendations are unnecesary. I just want to make sure it doesnt get hotter than the parts can handle, like bearing and so on.
Its my only car, so I use it. Just want to figure out if or when I should stop driving. I evade the highway.
thanks for understanding.
simons is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 06:23 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 95
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Here you go...


He has more content on rotors and pads on his channel. Hope this helps!
mgfloCR is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 06:35 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
VashTheStampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 58
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by simons View Post
What are normal rotor temperatures right after a spririted drive? Should I be worried if one of the rotors is above 100 celcius? (Sometimes a waterdrop boils off, so i know its 100C or above. You hear it sshhhhhh like if you drop water on a hot iron). No temp gun.

info please. No estimated guesses please. Thanks!
Remember that the S2000 tends to have rear rotors that run hotter than the fronts by a not-insignificant amount, as the fronts are vented rotos and the are rears not.
VashTheStampede is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 AM
  #4  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 59
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by mgfloCR View Post
Here you go...

https://youtu.be/EIa6_C1B6UQ

He has more content on rotors and pads on his channel. Hope this helps!
thanks but i want info on the rears. Forgot to mention that, edited that.
simons is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 AM
  #5  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 59
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede View Post
Remember that the S2000 tends to have rear rotors that run hotter than the fronts by a not-insignificant amount, as the fronts are vented rotos and the are rears not.
i know. But i want hard numbers. One of my pistons is a bit sticky so that rear rotor gets hotter than usualand I want to know what temps are still fine, and when I should stop driving before it will be replaced. Thats the reason im asking.
simons is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 192 Times in 169 Posts
Default

You don't even know what your rotor temps are, but you want specific numbers?

Step 1. Go to Harbor Freight, buy laser temp gun. Like $20.

Step 2. Find out how hot your rotors really get. Measure after a normal drive. Measure after a spirited drive. Return to this thread, and hopefully by then someone will have posted some relevant numbers.

I will try and get some readings from my car. My spirited drive might not be as spirited as yours, so perhaps the regular drive numbers will be more meaningful. I will take readings after highway drive. If your rotors are hanging up, your numbers should be way hotter.
Car Analogy is online now  
Old 09-19-2018, 10:09 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
VashTheStampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 58
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by simons View Post
i know. But i want hard numbers. One of my pistons is a bit sticky so that rear rotor gets hotter than usualand I want to know what temps are still fine, and when I should stop driving before it will be replaced. Thats the reason im asking.
If your caliper is sticking, there is no amount of sticking that is acceptable. Repair it.
VashTheStampede is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 02:56 PM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Illnoise. WAY downtown, jerky.
Posts: 4,115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 107 Times in 96 Posts
Default

Is the caliper sticking? If so...fix your sticking caliper.

Why would you need to know rotor temps to know whether to fix that?

Points of reference:
Your pads are probably done working right about 700F.
Assuming the fluid hasn't boiled, that event will feel like the pedal is solid...but the brakes are much less effective.

Idk how anyone here would know your rotor temps, though.

What data are you actually after? Like..how hot is too hot? Depends on what kind of driving and braking you just did compared to a known good S2000 driven under the exact same condition.

Why/how would anyone know that or care what that refers to?

Fix your sticking caliper if its sticking.

Then just live your life like normal.
B serious is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 03:13 PM
  #9  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 59
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Car Analogy View Post
You don't even know what your rotor temps are, but you want specific numbers?

Step 1. Go to Harbor Freight, buy laser temp gun. Like $20.

Step 2. Find out how hot your rotors really get. Measure after a normal drive. Measure after a spirited drive. Return to this thread, and hopefully by then someone will have posted some relevant numbers.

I will try and get some readings from my car. My spirited drive might not be as spirited as yours, so perhaps the regular drive numbers will be more meaningful. I will take readings after highway drive. If your rotors are hanging up, your numbers should be way hotter.
thanks man. Im in europe no harbour freight here. Looking forward to your numbers. If possible in degrees Celcius please, thanks
simons is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 03:14 PM
  #10  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 59
Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede View Post
If your caliper is sticking, there is no amount of sticking that is acceptable. Repair it.
replacement is incoming. This question is for the time being.
simons is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands