S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rough start in mornings!!!

Old 10-07-2002, 08:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I still think it's a computer "gremlin" but the computer does things based on what all sensors tell it. After my initial episode a couple months ago when the temps started to dip, I've not had a re-occurence of this problem even though the temp went back up to summer norms and now it's come down again to pre-winter levels.
Mine "learned" and has remembered what it learned. Yours obviously has NOT. I would still recommend removing the slack in your throttle cable. Then I might suggest getting some spray carb cleaner (make sure it's injector AND sensor safe), remove the intake tube to expose the throttle body. Open up the throttle plate and spray clean that whole area, especially where the T. plate seals up the opening. Get an old tooth brush and clean off the sealing surface. Then one more quick spray to flush it a bit.
Don't use too much or the engine might have a hard time starting. Do this after you've warmed up the engine so you don't have the first start stumbles to compound the hard start due to the carb cleaner. Once the engine is running smoothly, spray the cleaner around the perimeter of the T. plate and work the throttle a bit to suck the cleaner into intake passages. This trick cured the same thing with my last 2 Vettes. The throttle plates were leaking too much air at cold start up.
Also, do you have any mods that might have affected the cold start, like a Hondata heat gasket or anything else that you've forgotten about?
Old 10-07-2002, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xviper,

I don't have any mods, except for a drop in K&N. So, it sounds like you think air might be leaking around the t-plate at startup, maybe due to a dirty seal or something? I'll go ahead and check, but I can't see how this would even get dirty at all - isn't this what the air filter keeps from happening? The car is so new, I just can't see how it would even get dirty in there. I'll take a look and see how things are, but I think I'm just going to have to stand my ground with honda and demand THEY figure it out, and FIX it.

Thanks for the help, xviper. Hope this all works out.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:01 AM

If your car is relatively new, you most likely don't have any "grunge" buildup. Yes, the air filter is supposed to keep the dirt out but remember, your PCV brings up oil vapours from your crankcase. Even though you have an oil filter, your oil stills gets pretty black after a while. It's not dirt per se, but it's still crud. And after 2 or more years, the crud can build up. If it looks clean, I wouldn't worry about the carb cleaner, but you might still have a vacuum leak somewhere and these are very hard to find, just like electrical diagnosis. These may not generate a "CEL" but may still tell the computer to do something weird.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine has the same condition rough start up in the mornings doesn't seem to matter what air temp also it almost dies when coming to stop light pulling it out of gear and quickly letting off the accelerator,

I checked my denso plugs all seemed to be clean I found 1 slightly loose re-torqued all plugs
problem went away for 4 days has recently reappeared
I don't know what to make of it
Old 10-09-2002, 08:48 PM

My car has been doing the same thing for the last several days as well now that temperatures have gotten fairly chilly. It does exactly the same thing you describe, and the oil pressure light seems to stay on longer than usual before it goes off. I went ahead and topped off the oil before leaving work today, and for some reason, it didn't do that. I'll see what happens tomarrow morning. I'm at 3000 miles now and i've burned a full quart of oil now. Damn...........I guess I should be hitting Vtec more often
Old 10-09-2002, 09:59 PM

Mine does it but I know a workaround that may shed some light on the cause. Tobi (FullThrottle) had a theory and a fix (sorta). He suggested cycling the key TWICE before hitting the Start Button. So I tried it. I put key in, let the beeps cease, turn key off, turn key back on and let the beeps finish, press Start Button. Vroom. No hesitation. I tried starting recently without cycling it twice and got the jitters. *shrug*
Old 10-10-2002, 08:13 AM

Well, I have to say thanks to everyone for their input. I have tried everything everyone has suggested and am still having the problem. Team wants me to drop it off again tonight, as they are first going to try replacing the fuel regulator (I believe?), and see if that has any effect. Let me ask everyone something. Those of you who are having the same problem, are any of you getting a CEL at all? The dealership is confused as to why the car isn't throwing any codes. They are thinking they might even try replacing ecu, but we haven't gotten to that point just yet. I will have them replace this part first, and then I'll post back with an update.

Damn, I hate not having my baby on friday night (or the weekend, for that matter!)
Old 10-10-2002, 01:44 PM

Never a "CEL" here.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:15 PM
d2d

My '02 with 16k does that as well. did when it was brand new as well. all depended on how cold the night was. Didn't happen all summer for me. I've been attributing it to New England weather.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:02 AM

Well, just thought I'd post an update. After having the regulator replaced, I tried it out this weekend and no go. I am still having the problem. I did notice that it wasn't nearly as bad on Saturday, which was actually a rather warm day compared to how cold it's usually been (and I didn't start it until about noon, so it was actually quite nice and warm out). I passed this info on to the dealership, and suggested maybe we look at something more air related, ie. MAP sensor, O2 sensor, etc. He's not "acting" on my recommendations but is definitely going to call Honda again to ask what they should do next. I spoke with the tech that's handling the car on Friday and it seems they are just going through the "hoops" that corporate wants them to go through so that in the end, the problem gets resolved. That way corporate can't say "well you didn't do what we wanted you to do, so now we can't fix it." Which is a goog thing, I just think it's going to take some time.

On that note, I have a question for anyone out there. If your warranty expires before a pre-existing issue is resolved, I am under the presumtion that this one issue is still covered until it is resolved. Anyone have any first-hand knowledge in dealing with this?

Well, thanks again for everyone's support. I'll continue to keep you all posted. Hopefully, eventually I will be able to post a fix for this issue for those having the same problems.

Thanks, guys.

Quick Reply: Rough start in mornings!!!