S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

s2k DIED. HELP!

Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2k DIED. HELP!

Hi guys,

Im new to this site obviously. I have a problem with my 2000 s2k ap1. I was driving stuck in some bumper to bumper traffic. The car got really hot and after the light turned green at an intersection, I went to give the car some gas and it felt like it wasnt firing on all the cylinders. It was like the engine was sputtering a bit. I'd give it gas and it wouldnt go that much. The engine soon died after that. I tried turning it back on and the check engine light came on. It wasnt flashing, it was solid. So, I tried taking it to a local shop and within a 100 yards it stuttered again and soon died. By the way, I was keeping the rpms below 3k at this point. I started it up once more and I was able to get it to the shop. Once I parked it, it wouldnt even start anymore. It sounded like it was igniting but it struggled and died. There was an advance auto parts nearby. on the code reader I got "P1366 AND P1361" "manufacturer control ignition system or misfire" I found these codes on here on the forums and they referred to P1366 TDC Sensor No. 2 Intermittent Interruption and P1361 TDC Sensor Intermittent Interruption. I just did a valve adjustment two days ago. Would that have anything to do with it? What am i facing here and what do I need to do? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

How hot is really hot?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Wow... that's crazy. I just came up here to post almost the exact same thing. I was driving today in some really hot temps in NC. I drove my car about 20 miles to the town I was going to and then I was in city traffic.

When I would get at a stoplight and then take off, the car rpm would dip as I let off the clutch. I don't recall this happening on days that are cooler. The car never did cut off completely though. When I would shift into first I kept the revs at about 35. In all desperation, I cut the AC off (partly because it didn't really feel like it was doing anything anyway) and didn't downshift for a couple of minutes and it seemed to do a little better.

Even though 1st gear was extremely noticeable, 2nd 3rd and 4th gear all seemed to be drained of power.

Anybody have any thoughts?

"Oh and it was around 90 something degrees today"
Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by dammitjim,Jun 17 2010, 04:40 PM
How hot is really hot?
i dunno maybe its just my paranoia. The temp on the gauges was three bars which i know is normal for ap1s but i remember the previous owner telling me that the car was overheating before he got it fixed. that was a yr ago and since then ive had no real problems and ive flushed the cooling system once and replaced the antifreeze with the honda stuff. so maybe it has nothing to do with temp...
Old 06-17-2010, 05:04 PM

from what ive been reading my best shot is to just replace the tdc sensor. the top dead center sensor. does that sound right to anyone?
Old 06-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Check the wiring to both of the TDC sensors and make sure they are not pinched anywhere and clean the contacts out. If you want you can check the voltage to see if they are working properly.

Does it rev past 3k rpms when you are driving?

Might want to check your coolant levels and check the oil to see if you find any residue or signs that the coolant could have leaked in.

I live in texas and I drive my car daily; it's about 97 degrees today and that's fairly normal weather for us in the summer.

But I would check those things before you result to buying new sensors.

*Edit*
I just read over the part where you did a valve adjustment a few days ago. DOUBLE check the wires to the TDC sensor on the exhaust manifold side. One of my friends got his valve adjustment done and that sensor wasn't plugged in properly. So just double check the wires.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tanikins07,Jun 17 2010, 05:42 PM
Check the wiring to both of the TDC sensors and make sure they are not pinched anywhere and clean the contacts out. If you want you can check the voltage to see if they are working properly.

Does it rev past 3k rpms when you are driving?

Might want to check your coolant levels and check the oil to see if you find any residue or signs that the coolant could have leaked in.

I live in texas and I drive my car daily; it's about 97 degrees today and that's fairly normal weather for us in the summer.

But I would check those things before you result to buying new sensors.

*Edit*
I just read over the part where you did a valve adjustment a few days ago. DOUBLE check the wires to the TDC sensor on the exhaust manifold side. One of my friends got his valve adjustment done and that sensor wasn't plugged in properly. So just double check the wires.
yeah i checked the coolant and engine oil first. they both seemed fine. i cant specifically remember if the engine cut out at 3k but i do remember that it did not allow me to get that high of rpms at all... it definitely cut out around 3k.. whether it was exactly 3k rpms im not sure
Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Check the cabling, if you are up to it you can check the voltage going to the sensors; find a helms manual around on the internet or pm me, I have a pdf version.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Does the motor turn over?
Were the fans running to cool the motor?
What is your coolant level like?
When was the last time you checked your coolant?
Did low oil pressure come on?

How hot was the motor when you popped the hood after getting to the shop? It's really hot when you open her up and it's like opening an oven door.

If the motor won't even turn over you may have fried the rings and/or run out of oil and seized the motor.

So much information is missing none of us will really be able to help you.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2,Jun 17 2010, 09:22 PM
Does the motor turn over?
Were the fans running to cool the motor?
What is your coolant level like?
When was the last time you checked your coolant?
Did low oil pressure come on?

How hot was the motor when you popped the hood after getting to the shop? It's really hot when you open her up and it's like opening an oven door.

If the motor won't even turn over you may have fried the rings and/or run out of oil and seized the motor.

So much information is missing none of us will really be able to help you.
yes the fans were running to cool the motor. the engine oil and coolant levels were the first things i checked both were fine. low oil pressure never came on. it was more like i couldnt get past a certain rpm range which was around 3k. ive been reading that people with similar type problems seemed to suffer from a faulty tdc sensor..

Quick Reply: s2k DIED. HELP!