S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Safe Place to put jack stands...

Old 05-05-2008, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Safe Place to put jack stands...

I'm looking into painting my calipers this weekend, I'm having a hard time figuring out how I'm going to place all 4 wheels in the air at the same time.

Tools at my disposal:
1 oem jack - I use this so I can get the other 2-ton jacks under the car.
2 Regular non- low profile jacks
2 Jackstands

Is there a safe place for me to place the jackstands after I've lifted one side up? Lastime I placed the jackstand on the frame that runs along the car and that made a small dent in the frame on the drivers side. I would prefer not to place jack stands there again, so is there a safe way for me to lift the car up or should I paint two (Front + back) calipers at a time?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Along the sideskirt you will find the 3 OEM points. If you jack from middle of the 2 (front position closest to back) you can lift the entire side of the car. From here you can place a jackstand at each far end of the OEM lift points on the side.

Alternatively you can jack from the suspension where it bolts to the body if necessary.

If you do not have 4 stands, I could just paint them 2 at a time.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:47 AM

If you dont have 4 jack stands you should probally only do 1 side at a time or go to schucks or checker or whatever your local auto parts store is called and you will be able to find a set of 2 jack stands for a decent price. The 4 points to put your jack stands are the same place you put your oem jack if you happen to get a flat tire on the side of the road. Just jack up using the fromt jack point then place the 2 jack stands on the front, then use the rear jack point and place the other 2. Good luck man.

-Ian
Old 05-05-2008, 04:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to keep the car up for an extended period of time, I'd invest in another set of jackstands. Their cheap. Use all 4 OEM jack points and your worry free to work as long as you want.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:19 AM

Cool, I may have to invest in more jackstands.
I can't reach the front and rear jacking points with my jacks since they are not low profile, without first jacking up the sides first.....this presents a difficult situation since I can't place jacks stands at the side jack points b/c I have jacks there....I think I may just do one side at a time.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Choungsgay,May 5 2008, 09:19 AM
Cool, I may have to invest in more jackstands.
I can't reach the front and rear jacking points with my jacks since they are not low profile, without first jacking up the sides first.....this presents a difficult situation since I can't place jacks stands at the side jack points b/c I have jacks there....I think I may just do one side at a time.
1) Jack the front most a little with OEM
2) Insert real jack at 2nd front most
3) Remove OEM jack
4) Raise and use my scenario.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 AM

what is this second front most point you're talking about? I thought there was only one front jacking point that is in the center.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:33 AM

Along the side between the 2 wheels you will find 3 jack points. 2 in the front and 1 in the rear. The 1 under the subframe will be no good to you with only 2 jackstands.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:58 AM

wow, I never knew there was two in the front along the side skirt. I only remember one place that was enforced in the front. Thanks for that info, I will look into it.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:03 AM

This pic shows exactly what I am referring to. Just to the left of my one in the front is other reinforced jacking area. If you would read the manual this is where it suggests for jacking the car to replace tires.

Quick Reply: Safe Place to put jack stands...