S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Scan Tool Recommendations - iPhone or Handheld Scanner

Old 10-02-2022, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scan Tool Recommendations - iPhone or Handheld Scanner

I am looking for recommendations on a scan/diagnostic tool to diagnose a CEL on somewhat of a budget. I've looked at the threads on this and am looking for recent recommendations. The way I see it, there are (3) main options.

1. Cheap wifi/bluetooth plug in + phone app. Please recommend an IPHONE/IOS app you like.

Amazon Amazon

2. Expensive wireless/bluetooth plug. What's the advantage here over option (1). Seems like they can pull more data/second. Any other advantages?

Amazon Amazon

3. Oldschool handheld unit. I personally don't think it's a bad thing to not have to rely on your phone.

Amazon Amazon

I'm guessing it probably doesn't make too much difference which option I go with but any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2022, 08:12 PM
Jub

Received 394 Likes on 314 Posts

Amazon Amazon

This is kinda the standard from what I've gathered. It works nicely, they update it regularly, bluetooth is easy to connect, allegedly they allow you to download some OEM options from certain manufacturers. It works for both my S2k and 4Runner reliably. Maybe there are cheaper options that work as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jub:
bluejk09 (10-03-2022), cosmomiller (10-25-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 04:12 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the Blue Driver it works really well. Its all there at your finger tips.
Also has live data, it will show speed, RPMs, intake temp, coolant temp.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:43 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been using a cheap ($8) bluetooth OBD2 adapter for 5 years for both diagnostics and track data. It was made by Kobra but I'm not sure it is still available.

I use it with the Torque app (full version) and with RaceChrono Pro and it works great with both. I also recommend getting an extension cable to both protect the port and to make it much easier to access.

I don't know what advantages you get from one that costs over $100, especially for diagnostics. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Filthy Beast
I have the Blue Driver it works really well. Its all there at your finger tips.
Also has live data, it will show speed, RPMs, intake temp, coolant temp.
What year is your car? It says it supports 2003 and later here

Old 10-03-2022, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by BrewDay09
I've been using a cheap ($8) bluetooth OBD2 adapter for 5 years for both diagnostics and track data. It was made by Kobra but I'm not sure it is still available.

I use it with the Torque app (full version) and with RaceChrono Pro and it works great with both. I also recommend getting an extension cable to both protect the port and to make it much easier to access.

I don't know what advantages you get from one that costs over $100, especially for diagnostics. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
I'm wondering the same thing about the more expensive options. Happy to pay more if it's worth it though
Old 10-03-2022, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by bluejk09
What year is your car? It says it supports 2003 and later here

I have a 04, mine is several years old, i think i updated it once. Works good with an Android
Old 10-03-2022, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by BrewDay09

Mine has live data and Smog check. I can also store data that has been checked. It will show the last mileage when you last ran a diagnostic.
Reads codes and shows them.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:55 AM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Filthy Beast
Mine has live data and Smog check. I can also store data that has been checked. It will show the last mileage when you last ran a diagnostic.
Reads codes and shows them.
Ok. I get all those things from the Torque Pro app.

Is there anything that the more expensive adapters do better than a $10 bluetooth OBD2 plus the $5 Torque app?

I guess some people have had difficulty getting cheap OBD2 adapters to connect. Fortunately I have not had that issue.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:03 PM

Not really, when i bought mine i didn't look at others.
It just seemed like something handy to have

Quick Reply: Scan Tool Recommendations - iPhone or Handheld Scanner