S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Screeching noise which changes with speed

Old 09-25-2019, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screeching noise which changes with speed

Hi,

I have a 2001 model with 150,000 miles. I have taken the car into the honda dealership 3 times but they can't seem to find the source of the problem, most recently suggesting it might be the aircon system. I haven't used this in years and they say it might cost over 1,000 pounds to fix!
The sound changes with speed, basically happens when going round a right hand corner, and is worse when there is a passenger in the car. Sounds like something to do with drive on the left hand side of the car. I'm posting audio of the sound. Any suggestions for how to either direct the garage to look for the issue, or of non-Honda garages in the Salisbury area who could look after my car are very much appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: wav
New Recording 11.wav (1.80 MB, 22 views)
Old 09-25-2019, 05:23 AM

Received 1,203 Likes on 933 Posts

So it does not change with engine rpm? Aka if you rev the engine with the car stationary do you hear it? Does it appear to occur at the same car speed or same engine speed when it is occurring? To test that, try making it happen and then try driving the same speed in the next higher or lower gear and see if it still occurs.

If it is totally independent of engine speed then I am not seeing how it would be the air conditioner. The AC can make noise whether you use it or not if the bearing is going out, but that does not sound like this to me and if it is only dependent on vehicle speed and worse when turning I do not see it being that.

Any modifications to the car?
Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 965 Posts

This is not a tire rubbing something or other issue?

Just to be sure.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:46 AM

Received 1,203 Likes on 933 Posts

^^ It really sounds like a tire rubbing something. Very rubber against metal kinda noise. If it definitely sounds like it is up towards the front, I would get some sidewalk chalk, rub it all over the edges of the tire and go make it happen, then get under there and look for transfer.

I HAVE heard the blower motor for an HVAC in a car make a similar sound as well when the bearing in the blower was going out. But that should be able to be reproduced sitting still unless it only does it under a lateral load like in a turn. But simply turning the blower off and making the noise happen again rules that out.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

If it changes with direction as well, I'm thinking it could be something like a wheel bearing, brakes on one side or the diff... have you looked into those items?
Old 09-26-2019, 02:33 AM

Thanks all,
The car has no modifications.
There is no noise when idling, or when cold (ie first starting up). No noise with aircon blowers on and off. No noise with revs when stationary and no change to the noise if clutch is depressed and the engine revved.
The noise started today after 3 or 4 miles, but was intermittent and this time whilst driving straight, no noticeable left/right preference this time. Definitely louder when there is a passenger, and coming only from the rear left wheel area.
Also related to rotation of the wheel as it happens at the same point on the revolution.
I'm sending a new audio at slow speed (10mph, sorry about the wind noise).
Attached Files
File Type: wav
New Recording 17.wav (2.25 MB, 10 views)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:38 AM

Received 49 Likes on 49 Posts

What I would do is put the car on jack stands, and have someone else in the car and drive it up to a speed that you KNOW you've heard the noise at while on the road. Then poke your head under the car and really pinpoint where the noise is coming from. That is partly how I resolved my tailshaft bearing issue.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:16 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Check your brake pads on your rear left wheel. The OEM pads have a metal tab wear indicator that will rub against the rotor when the inner pad is worn enough. A visual inspection of the outer pad isn't enough to catch this. You should remove the caliper and see if this wear tab is rubbing on anything.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:10 AM

Hi,
I've taken the car to the local garage, with all the thoughts and testing results. There is a left-right rock on the wheel, but not up and down. So we're investigating the wheel bearings.
Thank you for your very useful thoughts.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:40 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Try and tighten the hub nut and see how it goes before replacing the bearing.

Quick Reply: Screeching noise which changes with speed