S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Severe usage synthetic, change?

Old 05-26-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe usage synthetic, change?

Ok, as some may notice, I've tried to be very active on S2ki and have read most of the posts concerning oil and especially have begun to agree that changing synthetic at 3k is unnecessary. So I was going to prolong my change interval, however, I replaced my oil about 3400 miles ago just before WTD '05. Of course, my S saw some serious miles and severe usage during the Dragon. This weekend, we're returning to put another sword in the dragon's gullet. You guys think I should:
A. Change the oil now, with such usage, it's better to be safe than sorry.
B. Leave the oil but change the filter.
C. Drive the dragon without a change.

Now I'll probably be at 4k (on this oil) by the time I get back and 2 dragon runs.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mbilderback,May 26 2005, 10:16 AM
Ok, as some may notice, I've tried to be very active on S2ki and have read most of the posts concerning oil and especially have begun to agree that changing synthetic at 3k is unnecessary. So I was going to prolong my change interval, however, I replaced my oil about 3400 miles ago just before WTD '05. Of course, my S saw some serious miles and severe usage during the Dragon. This weekend, we're returning to put another sword in the dragon's gullet. You guys think I should:
A. Change the oil now, with such usage, it's better to be safe than sorry.
B. Leave the oil but change the filter.
C. Drive the dragon without a change.

Now I'll probably be at 4k (on this oil) by the time I get back and 2 dragon runs.
what does it cost to change your oil?.. is this car worth a extra $ for a oil change? have a UOA done to be sure.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:42 AM

Sure, it's not a question of $$$, it's more a question of usage to deterioration. What it boils down to is that over the life of the car, extending oil change intervals when using full synthetic oil can be a signifigant savings, but more so, it's better for the environment and takes a lot less time.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll be completely fine. Any quality synthetic with a solid HT/HS(high temp, high shear) will be perfectly fine until 5,000 miles and most will be able to go beyond that possibly up to 7-8k. With a motor not as high revving and demanding on the oil, one could easily drive a synthetic for 10-15k miles before changes in say an Accord or Civic.

My suggestion would be to change at 5,000 and then send off a sample for a UOA to determine just how much more life was left in the oil so that the next time around you can possibly add even more miles.

My goal with the S2000 isn't quite trying to ring out every mile of my oil, like I would with my Accord, so my rule of thumb is every 5k miles or 6 months....whichever comes first.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Just make sure there is enough oil on your dip stick and you should be fine. Since such a high rev'n VTEC engine likes to eat oil over time
Old 05-26-2005, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the opinions, guys, I think I'll do just that.

Now, my wife's daily driver is probably pushing 10k...time to change.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm now dumping so much oil in the car, if it weren't for the filter getting dirty I'd never have to change it. I'm well on track to do 3 (or more) quarts added this oil change interval. Last interval was 2 quarts (possibly more) over 3200 miles. So far I have a tad over 2 quarts added over the last 2000 miles.

At that rate, I'm adding fresh additives faster than they can be burned off. My Blackstone report showed very high TBDs because of this.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is my uoa after 6600 miles with Blackstone comments
Sorry but I can't figure out how to get it big enough so it can be read, can any body help?
If you click on it three times you can actually read it.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hondassport,May 26 2005, 01:15 PM
Here is my uoa after 6600 miles with Blackstone comments
And mine ('it's been posted before):

Or here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=m...d=si&img=232363

I'm getting red X's from my gallery.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:14 PM

if i was you i would change the filter and top it off. But take a look at the color of the oil if its honey coloured it should be ok. if black then change it. These are by no means scientific facts, and shouldnt be taken as such. Use common sense.

Quick Reply: Severe usage synthetic, change?