S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shifting at high rpm's car doesnt pick up in gear

Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting at high rpm's car doesnt pick up in gear

Well Ive been driving for 17 years and racing for 13 of them so Im familure with clutch issues. I mean its pretty simple with all other high power cars when my cluth was going but for some reason the s2k feels different :S

Usually happens on hard 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th 7500-9000rpm shifts. I shit and hammer the throttle but the car DOES NOT want to go it like, it will wait for a few seconds and then pick up. But I DO NOT see the rpm's shooting up like a normal clutch going issue. SO Im lost.

IT rips gard to redline in each gear when shifted normally, Peels second anytime if I want it to :S

What do you guys think this could be, car is 100% mech fine. I do take amazing care of it and baby it otherwise.

Car has 32000km's on it and has its oem 2001 clutch still?

thanks Ken
Old 06-22-2010, 08:16 AM

common guys
Old 06-22-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Sounds like the pressure plate to me - its slipping the clutch enough to keep power from going to the wheels, but grabbing enough to keep the rpm from sailing up. Odd that is it fine on a 1-2 or 2-3 shift where you'd expect to see that behavior.

Is everything factory original?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 AM

everything is oem, if it was the pressure plate it would stiull show the rpm's shooting up :S

I talked to my clutch guys that I have known since i was a kid and even he has no idea.

he says is almost sounds like the ecu is causing the car to retard timing of something weird along those lines which i havent heard of either.

Tranny is fine, no issues shifting all that ive had are 4.77 gears installed but that doesnt effect tranny.

yes 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are fine.

I will go beat on her and bring the cam and record it, see if it happens then :S
Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edit
Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 AM

S2K's have a clutch delay sensor to protect the clutch from slipping during hard launches...it may be the problem but its only a guess
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by dantediss,Jun 22 2010, 08:56 AM
S2K's have a clutch delay sensor to protect the clutch from slipping during hard launches...it may be the problem but its only a guess
Maybe so, not awae of this is 2001. But as mentioned the car rips hard in all gears. I can take her to redline in every gear with ease and no slipping or issues. THis is only under the VERY ODD hard redline shift in 3-4 or 4-5

thanks so far

I know the res is a little over the max line, i will take some out tonight and see if for any god reason it fixes it :S
Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by dantediss,Jun 22 2010, 11:56 AM
S2K's have a clutch delay sensor
Not until '04
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jun 22 2010, 11:22 AM
Sounds like the pressure plate to me - its slipping the clutch enough to keep power from going to the wheels, but grabbing enough to keep the rpm from sailing up.
So where do you think the power is going, exactly?

If the engine is making power, either the clutch holds and the car accelerates, or the clutch doesn't hold and the car revs. If neither of those is happening, then the engine is not making the power. The clutch doesn't have any magic ability to shunt engine power to some alternate universe. I might give you the possiblity of *some* slippage, so some of the power is getting to the wheels, but not all of it. But, in that case you're still going to see the rpms float higher than wheelspeed would indicate, and settle in as the clutch grabs fully.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbrig,Jun 22 2010, 09:15 AM
So where do you think the power is going, exactly?

If the engine is making power, either the clutch holds and the car accelerates, or the clutch doesn't hold and the car revs. If neither of those is happening, then the engine is not making the power. The clutch doesn't have any magic ability to shunt engine power to some alternate universe. I might give you the possiblity of *some* slippage, so some of the power is getting to the wheels, but not all of it. But, in that case you're still going to see the rpms float higher than wheelspeed would indicate, and settle in as the clutch grabs fully.
exactly as what I said,

Ill video it and hope it happens to see if there is a smallest slip in rpms but its happend alot and never have i seen the rpm's rise.

Power just isnt makin it turn it seems but she pulls so hardf otherwise so i have no clue

compression is top notch is each cylinder as well.

Quick Reply: Shifting at high rpm's car doesnt pick up in gear