S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Side strakes

Old 02-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side strakes

I just got the side strakes. the instructions say to drill holes in the body area to install it. this seems crazy as the side strakes are not very big. anybody install this without drilling the hole? if the hold must be drilled then I don't think i want these anymore. any suggestions on how to install this without drilling? any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 02-15-2005, 04:58 AM

Those things take alot of abuse so I would only recommend drilling a hole to hold them but the next thing would have to be 3M double sided tape.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well since the premise behind side strakes is to create downforce and not just look cool, one would assume they need to be sturdy. so without me being my usual sarcastic self, i am telling you, yes the holes need to be drilled.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Could somebody please tell me what "side strakes" are?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:47 AM

Actually, when I bought my S used it came with the side strakes. I didn't like them too much but found the holes to be ugly. Also the installer didn't do a great job and they don't line up perfectly if you use the holes and the acompanying screw. So, I lined them up the way the looked best and used 3M tape to hold the front in place while I screwed the two rear screws into place. Well, after nailing the strakes with several cones while auto-xing they have yet to come off or become loose. I nailed these bitches so hard as to scratch them with the soft cones and take a licking.

So, YES, go ahead and put them on using only the 3M tape on the area in the front of the strake but be sure to drill and install the screws in the rear of the strake. I think those screws take the majority of the load any way.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:17 AM

ps. i just 0wn3d myself and re-read the thread. i read too fast and thought he got those APR front 'wing' things. my bad! haha

im fairly confident that the side strakes dont do anything but look cool, still though, i'd drill the holes for good measure.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1' date='Feb 15 2005, 11:47 AM
but be sure to drill and install the screws in the rear of the strake. I think those screws take the majority of the load any way.
The installations instructions for these things don't involve drilling any holes in the rear, only one on the side and one underneath on each side. If you've drilled holes in the rear someplace, this is your own adaptation. You should show people exactly what you did.
Here is the "official" installations instructions:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/S2000/s2kstrakes.pdf
Old 02-16-2005, 01:52 AM

thanks for all the input guys. I will go with the advice and use only 3M tape. thanks glagola1. I will use only the 2 screws in the rear and tape the front. that was what I was thinking but wasn't sure about.

Xviper, step #20 on the install insructions calls for 2 small screws to be attached to the holes in clips A and B. but that is in the wheel well so i can live with that.

thanks for all the help guys.

ps. I will try to post pics when i actually get around to installing them. that is a good idea. I really enjoy the pics other ppl post and they explain much better than words do and provides great ideas for others. I will do my best to learn how to post as I have never done it before.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by alex s' date='Feb 15 2005, 12:33 PM
well since the premise behind side strakes is to create downforce and not just look cool, one would assume they need to be sturdy. so without me being my usual sarcastic self, i am telling you, yes the holes need to be drilled.
Please excuse the off topic question but, how do side strakes create "down" force? I can understand the various "wings" on the trunk and I can understand what the front spoiler does but side strakes? I would have thought that they would help with controlling air flow around the rear wheels but hadn't considered their contribution to down force.

What am I missing?

Thanks & Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve, he corrected himself in his last post. Scroll up to his post just before my previous one.

Quick Reply: Side strakes