S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sleeving F20?

Old 02-22-2002, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeving F20?

Are there any sleeved F20 engines? Is anyone in the process of this or what? I thought I heard there is something about the cylinder bore coating (nickel-silicon carbide I think) that makes this prohibitively expensive. For serious turbocharger boost this is neccessitiated, and import racing needs are rear-wheel drive honda drag car. Would they just align the block up and machine out the original bores, or surface the inner deck and insert and solid spacer? I am intending this not only for sustaining intense turbocharging but also enlarging the bore. Anyone know?
Old 02-24-2002, 05:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the best thing to do would have a redesigned upper block made rather than modifying the original. Maybe even machined out of a forged piece.
You would definitely want the closed deck and O-ringed head gasket - Original block modified with deck support and new sleeves may still give troubles down the road at very high boost levels.

Might even be cheaper to take a new Dart B16 block and re-engineer the cam system to turn clockwise and mate it the the 6speed - but then the tranny wouldn't take quite a lot of power. Im talking power ranges of 600-800bhp of higher. It would all depend on the application.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes it has been done.......but the individual is not quite ready to share this effort with the world yet. System is running 13 PSI of boost.

Utah
Old 02-24-2002, 01:22 PM

Who's that? I wasn't aware someone had gone through with the sleeving yet..
Old 02-24-2002, 01:39 PM

I saw a block for sale somewhere a little while back that was sleeved.
I can't remember who or where, but yeah I'm pretty sure it has been done.

-V

found it

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...t=sleeved+block
Old 02-24-2002, 02:06 PM

Dart as in domestic v8 heads and blocks now makes new castings of drag-prepped Honda blocks? News to me. I am sure that would be a really stout block and everything. I guess you would plumb the intake system to the exhaust side of the head, and exhaust manifold to the intake side of the head, swap the cams, and put the starter on the other side of the flywheel (somehow, maybe use some custom brackets and adapters?) to start it cranking the other direction. Then have a turbo manifold fabricated, and intake manifold fabricated, hmmm...
Old 02-25-2002, 02:13 PM

Though I'm new here, and don't know what the geometry of the block is (or whether it is compatible or not), have any of you considered mating a CRV block with the S2000 head (2.4 litre)?
Old 02-27-2002, 12:37 PM

Yes, I meant Dart as in domestic blocks, if its not out yet they are releasing a B16 block and from what I hear it has a closed deck.

Sorry guys, I was thinking really big power, not just sleeves, like upwards of 30-40psi . . .

Right now Im looking at my old tranny, sitting next to my new(er) one, thinking about modifying it.
Pretty stout gears, just too bad there was that lubrication issue to begine with.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:40 PM

where did you hear about these Dart blocks? I have done a few searches and found nothing. a friend and I are needing a stout power platform for a project hot rod we are working on. any websites? I tried www.dartheads.com, it says the site is temporarily unavailable. do you know who will sell them? tell me all the facts you know please.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:27 PM

The guys at my machine shop saw them at a trade show, I was supprised too.
It is logical though, as many B16's being used.

I'll stop by tomorrow, but you might try contacting Dart anyway.

The shop I take my engines to is mainly a domestic performance place, They were like "Uhh maybe we can . . ." when I brought in a subaru block to be sleeved. Worked out well, so now I take all my engines there.

Quick Reply: Sleeving F20?