S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sluggish, stalling, chugging

Old 03-29-2005, 05:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sluggish, stalling, chugging

Before you tell me to search it out, I have. All the posts I see are about car stalling while stopped or starting up.

On occassion, mine just seems like it "won't go". It is not when I am stopped, it is when I am attempting to cross traffic (quickly) or just accelerating regularly. It has only done this about 4 or 5 times. I seems to either just not go or chug along.

At first, I thought, driver error. But I don't think so because it just catches me off guard and freaks me out.

Help please.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem in my old car it was a catalitic convertor and fuel filter i dont know about these cars
Old 03-29-2005, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tap the map sensor
Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check: air filter, spark plugs.
You may have also fueled up with a tank of bad gas or you fueled up too many times just after the tanker had visited that gas station. This stirs up all the sediment in the underground tank and you pump it into your tank, accelerating the eventual demise of the fuel sock (filter).
Is it hot where you drive? You could have a mild case of heat soak from waiting at the intersection.
Do the MAP thing. Although a possibility, the cat isn't likely to be clogged unless you have a high mileage car. I know this sounds goofy, but check with a flashlight to see if anything has been jammed up the exhaust tips.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:32 AM

Xviper, et. al., I will check spark plugs, air filter, and tailpipes. But... what and where is the MAP??

And it is very hot... South Georgia
Old 03-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by uppitychick,Mar 29 2005, 09:32 AM
Xviper, et. al., I will check spark plugs, air filter, and tailpipes. But... what and where is the MAP??

And it is very hot... South Georgia
Given your current ambient temps, I would guess it's heat soak. You should consider getting some sort of heat management set-up. A simple (but ugly) solution is to put on a "radmat":
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70356
The more expensive (and better looking) route to go would be a cold air intake of some sort.
What's happening is that while you are sitting there waiting to go, your intake gets really hot and heats up the slow moving air as it comes in. This hot air is low in oxygen and will also affect the intake air temp sensor causing the ECU to alter timing. This manifests itself in the sluggishness you felt. If you choose to not put on any mods, you must get into the habit of keeping your rpm a bit more elevated (like 2000 rpm or so) to keep the air moving through the intake while you are sitting there waiting with your foot on the clutch. Or, you need to use more revs when you take off after sitting for a while. "Blipping" the throttle while sitting will also work but this may annoy your neighbor or make him think you wanna race.

In your case, I doubt the MAP thing will work but it doesn't hurt to give it a try. Look here:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209708
It's not so much the "whack" that does the trick as is the fact that you unplug and plug in the sensor to "refresh" the electrical contacts. Honda has a TSB that will give you a new attachment securing system if your car falls under the requirements. Look here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=253242
Old 03-29-2005, 10:29 AM

I have Comptech ? intake, I think. I bought car with Comptech exhaust and Comptech intake (If I remember correctly) and K&N filter. Does this make any difference?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by uppitychick,Mar 29 2005, 12:29 PM
I have Comptech ? intake, I think. I bought car with Comptech exhaust and Comptech intake (If I remember correctly) and K&N filter. Does this make any difference?
Yes, you already have a cold air intake. This being the case, follow some of the other suggestions already given and don't worry about the heat soak thing, unless your Comptech airbox has a big crack in it that would let in hot air.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:39 AM

Okie-Dokie. Thanks. I will let you all know what works.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or maybe its time to clean the foam filter on your comptech intake. Have you checked it lately? On my previous S2000, the comptech filter will get dirty in a matter of 10,000 miles or so. You can check comptech's website for the cleaning and oiling kit that will get your filter looking and feeling like new.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Sluggish, stalling, chugging