S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

So do testpipes cause the engine any harm?

Old 01-18-2006, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So do testpipes cause the engine any harm?

I asked a question on here about a week ago if it would cause me to fail inspection, got yes and no answers, decided yesterday to just go ahead and remove it myself which was easier than i thought lol.

Anyways, my dad saw me swapping it out and putting the cat back on and he was all like OMGz WTFX BBQ you had no cat this whole time!? So now he doesn't want me putting it back on, and asked one of his friends who "knows hondas" about it, he said being that there's no backpressure, fumes can get into the engine and damage the valves. I was like, wtf? Then he told me if my goal is to improve the power, I should put larger injectors in it, and again was like WTF? My dad was all like, you shouldn't care about going any faster Costas, leave your car the way it is lol.

It sucks quite a bit having the T1R w/out testpipe though, it just sounds like a regular 'ole s2000 above 6k rpm's instead of a honda cbr 600RR and the rpm's climb slower, boooooo! I'm thinking I could maybe use the catalyctic converter shield housing and put that around the testpipe? Then no one will know, heh heh hehhhhhh.... Only thing is, I have the older T1R testpipe that has the o2 sensor that's angled downwards, so i'd have to use the huge shoulder which would be noticeable. I'll have to get the newer version and use the two anti-foulers. I don't know if it will require welding, although it seems like it might.

What's your view on what my dads friend said though? Can it cause any sort of damage (other than polluting the air lol)?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no using a test pipe and then putting back on a cat will not cause damage like wise using a cat and replacing it with a test pipe will not cause damage i know alot of "honda guys" most of them still ride in their civics with euro lights
Old 01-18-2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Elite,Jan 19 2006, 12:39 AM
no using a test pipe and then putting back on a cat will not cause damage like wise using a cat and replacing it with a test pipe will not cause damage i know alot of "honda guys" most of them still ride in their civics with euro lights
that's what i thought. he's basically saying replacing the cat with a testpipe damages the engine. is there anyway someone can give a thorough explanation in "technical" terms lol so i can have a valid reason to put it back on? i already miss it
Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will not cause damage.
The only similar thing my dad said, was:

When I had the cat and exhaust off, I started my car (just header) to hear the idle... He said dont let it run til warm, or when I shut it off, cold air will be sucked up and crack a hot valve. I shut it off before warm (rarely do that), but not sure if it's true or not. Couldnt hurt by shutting it off.

No a test pipe will not cause any damage.
No bigger injectors will not help - stock 360cc injectors are not at their max load yet. Only at 9PSI on an SC do you need to upgrade... there isnt enough air going through your engine to require that much fuel being sent through.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and a technical reason:
The Js racing 70r exhaust is header back, with no test pipe or cat. Strait piping. Their car still works!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by WyattH,Jan 19 2006, 01:00 AM
No bigger injectors will not help - stock 360cc injectors are not at their max load yet. Only at 9PSI on an SC do you need to upgrade... there isnt enough air going through your engine to require that much fuel being sent through.
boo ya! i'll tell him that and be like, dad, your friend doesn't know what he's talking about! hahaha
Old 01-19-2006, 05:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This has become a "war of the dads"?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fyi, the new T1R testpipe has locations for you to bolt your stock cat heatshield onto
Old 01-19-2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by S2000GT,Jan 19 2006, 06:40 AM
fyi, the new T1R testpipe has locations for you to bolt your stock cat heatshield onto
O RLY? i wonder if aj-racing would allow me to exchange testpipes for their newer model if i covered shipping..hmmmmmmmmmmmm.. time to send them an email
Old 01-19-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by WyattH,Jan 19 2006, 04:00 AM
The only similar thing my dad said, was:

When I had the cat and exhaust off, I started my car (just header) to hear the idle... He said dont let it run til warm, or when I shut it off, cold air will be sucked up and crack a hot valve. I shut it off before warm (rarely do that), but not sure if it's true or not. Couldnt hurt by shutting it off.
Your Dad lied to you. He also doesn't love you.

Quick Reply: So do testpipes cause the engine any harm?