S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Soft top problems

Old 11-17-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top problems

Alright guys, so I bought Modifry straps to fix my soft top but they seem to not work correctly. They are a bit tight so I'm not sure if I should give them time to let them stretch a bit before using the top again. The top doesn't close all the way when I used them which was the first problem but they also have a tendency to violently pull the bar back too fast causing the straps to pop back off the bar when lowering it. Which also causes the bar to pop back so far that when I put it back up, the bar gets stuck pointing downward rather then the original position it was in when the top was up. From the outside you can see the center bar is bulging causing the top to not sit properly as well.

I have researched and it seems others have had this problem but never posted of a fix or what they did to correct this issue.

My other problem is...

As you see in the picture, I believe this could be a reason my top doesn't function correctly. The center bar attachment is no longer attached to the soft top. Could this be a reason for the soft top not to function properly? I'm at a loss because this is my first convertible car so I'm not sure if this would be enough of a problem to cause the top to not function correctly. And yes, I realize the straps are not on the car at the moment because they keep falling off every time I use the top.

Anyone with experience please chime in. Any help is appreciated. I've already tried searching and can't seem to find anybody else with this issue.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:29 PM

You are correct - you need to get the center bar reattached to the roof fabric for things to work correctly.

The Modifry straps are designed to assist pulling the entire unit backward (bars and roof). Without the roof attached, the straps are just pulling on the bar and thus you get the violent movement of the bar. FYI - I installed my first soft top replacement on my 2006 S-2000 a few weeks ago. Used the Modifry straps and they worked very nicely.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Whisper66
You are correct - you need to get the center bar reattached to the roof fabric for things to work correctly.

The Modifry straps are designed to assist pulling the entire unit backward (bars and roof). Without the roof attached, the straps are just pulling on the bar and thus you get the violent movement of the bar. FYI - I installed my first soft top replacement on my 2006 S-2000 a few weeks ago. Used the Modifry straps and they worked very nicely.
Thank you very much for the reply.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case but had a feeling it had nothing to do with the Modifry straps and more to do with the top itself. Now I just have to find a glue that will withstand the test of time and adhere even in warmer temperatures as I live in Florida.

Anybody with suggestions on a glue to use to attach the fabrics back together for my top?
Old 11-18-2013, 02:55 PM

Shouldn't glue it.

Conceptually the fabric is supposed to slide in between the thin metal strip that wraps around the tube and the tube. Then you pinch the strip onto the fabric. I pinched the metal strip with a pair of vice grips to get the fabric held firmly. If i remember correctly, the edge of the fabric may be doubled to provide an edge to get hooked under the metal strip.

I don't think gluing the fabric directly to the tube will work because of the load and the cycles the joint will see over time. What may work is to glue the edge of the fabric to make that doubled edge (if it is needed and missing) and then hooking it behind the metal strip.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Whisper66
Shouldn't glue it.

Conceptually the fabric is supposed to slide in between the thin metal strip that wraps around the tube and the tube. Then you pinch the strip onto the fabric. I pinched the metal strip with a pair of vice grips to get the fabric held firmly. If i remember correctly, the edge of the fabric may be doubled to provide an edge to get hooked under the metal strip.

I don't think gluing the fabric directly to the tube will work because of the load and the cycles the joint will see over time. What may work is to glue the edge of the fabric to make that doubled edge (if it is needed and missing) and then hooking it behind the metal strip.
Sorry, maybe my description and picture were a bit confusing. The fabric piece can attach to the bar fine via a plastic trim sewn into it and slid into the bar. The problem I have is the opposite side that is supposed to be attached to the soft top itself has come undone and I'm not sure how I would reattach that.

As far as I can tell, it was glued on to begin with and the glue has come undone causing it to just hang there. Maybe bad engineering on the soft top designers stand point. As I know this is a newer non OEM top that came on this car.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:31 AM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemui
Originally Posted by Whisper66' timestamp='1384741795' post='22881636

Thank you very much for the reply.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case but had a feeling it had nothing to do with the Modifry straps and more to do with the top itself. Now I just have to find a glue that will withstand the test of time and adhere even in warmer temperatures as I live in Florida.

Anybody with suggestions on a glue to use to attach the fabrics back together for my top?
Depending on if and when you want to replace the top, you can try a couple of adhesives. The first one, in the pic, is professional but expensive. Expect to pay $50-60 for what you see. It is a use it all or lose it single use. I happen to have used this on hypalon, (Zodiac inflatable material) It is very strong and flexible. Follow directions. You can find it at boat repair outfits and some water/outdoor sporting stores that perform repairs.

The vinyl for the S top is a similar compound and should work fine. Another good adhesive, a real sleeper for this, although not as flexible but should still be fine as the bond joint is a long straight run is the blue and red Christies PVC pipe glue you use for residential pvc pipe use. Any Home Depot/Hardware store has that.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Depending on if and when you want to replace the top, you can try a couple of adhesives. The first one, in the pic, is professional but expensive. Expect to pay $50-60 for what you see. It is a use it all or lose it single use. I happen to have used this on hypalon, (Zodiac inflatable material) It is very strong and flexible. Follow directions. You can find it at boat repair outfits and some water/outdoor sporting stores that perform repairs.

The vinyl for the S top is a similar compound and should work fine. Another good adhesive, a real sleeper for this, although not as flexible but should still be fine as the bond joint is a long straight run is the blue and red Christies PVC pipe glue you use for residential pvc pipe use. Any Home Depot/Hardware store has that.
The top was replaced prior to my buying the car as there's no wear marks or signs at all on it. So if anything I would hope to try and salvage it rather than buy a new top.

Thanks for the glue suggestions. I may opt to just bring it to a local top repair facility and hope for the best.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 AM

I had the same problem on my car. I used gorilla glue and now it works fine. I glued it around 4 months ago, and it still works fine. Might want to try that.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM

I know this is about two weeks old now but figured I would update so if anybody else has this problem in the future they'll be able to solve it with what I did.

I basically went to Home Depot and bought some Loctite vinyl adhesive then applied it to the strip of fabric and used some cheap clear tape to hold it on for about two hours before replacing the plastic retainer into the soft top center bar. After completing that I replaced the Modifry straps and tested the top and it opened and closed as it should. Without the top attached to that bar it wasn't able to open and close correctly but now it works perfectly. The only thing I could foresee happening in the future is the glue coming undone but to be honest, the vinyl adhesive was so cheap and I have so much left I can just reapply it again if need be.

Thanks alot to everyone that answered and helped me with this problem.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

Hope it works for you. If the glue does fail, try the PVC pipe glue, its cheap. Christies Red Hot Blue pipe cement at Lowes or HD. $4-5 a small can.

One other glue, my go to glue for just about everything is E6000. It is clear and somewhat flexible. It is a professional use adhesive. Some hobby stores carry it. May have to call around to find it. $8. a big tube. Love the stuff.

For wear points, I went to Wal Mart in the fabric section, I got some self adhesive nylon black fabric repair. The outside surface is pretty slick. I used some spray adhesive to help it stick. I put it in the typical wear points others have had problems with. I did it proactively and you don't even notice it from the inside.

Quick Reply: Soft top problems