S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spoon Cold Air Intake

Old 11-27-2001, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon Cold Air Intake

Has anyone installed a Spoon CAI? If so, what has been your experience with this one. What is recommended?
Old 11-27-2001, 09:10 PM

Yup -- there's been quite a bit of discussion and experimentation with the Spoon CAI and other CAIs in the market. Do a search for 'CAI' and enjoy!

BTW -- Spoon CAIs are very hard to come by...
Old 11-27-2001, 09:18 PM

I did the search before posting this question .. have not found anything concrete on the Spoon CAI ... only a photo and price on one of the sponsor's sites. I certainly don't want anything that will not result in reliable improvement in all weather conditions.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:27 PM

I forgot which thread it was, but someone did a very comprehensive test on the Spoon/Import Development CAI. Do a search for 'mingster's CAI' which is a replica of the Spoon -- both carb fiber.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:52 AM

Here is one archive extracts, links to main threads do exists from specific search fields. Hopes this helps in getting what you want to know about the Spoon CAI.

Started up the car for a warm up to get it up to 3 bars and took it out for a spin. Noticeably almost instantly was the acceleration increased across the entire RPM band especially louder and faster in VTEC range. I could hear the wind suction at high speeds and when I hold onto the revs. When the car comes to a stop, I can hear a light hissing sound as well. All in all, a great add-on to the car and now I understand why cold air into the F20c block is so important. My test was conducted safely around 1:00 AM midnight with no cars through a local national park with lots of winding and tight twisties.

Old 11-28-2001, 11:10 PM

Thanks Takashi -- makes me want mine even more!!

But I'm still waiting....waiting...and waiting....<sigh>
Old 12-04-2001, 11:07 PM

I have one and love it... but as Shamu pointed out, they are extremely hard to come by!

I noticed improved acceleration... but more importantly, better throttle response... I believe it is of paramount importance that the F20C engine be fed with COLD AIR to see its full potential. Basically, it is the same principle behind the Mugen CAI... and is well explained on the Kingsmotorsports website. The F20C engine and computer respond drastically to changes in intake temperature.

I have had no problems with water... and it rains pretty hard around here. The only way I can imagine water getting to the filter is if it was pouring hard outside and you were going extremely fast... fast enough that water could enter the CAI entrance and UP towards the airbox...

Power-wise... I can't give you any solid numbers... I've never had the car dynoed... and to be honest, no stand-still dyno could accurately test the ram-air effects of this setup. The AEM CAI looks very interesting... and shows solid gains on the dyno... not surprising because the increased length of the intake contributes greatly to the vacuum effect of the filter. Most of these types of setups show good gains. However, I think the risk of hydro lock is greater... and where I live, I'm not willing to risk it. Even though the filter location is inside the fender and nose, I know for a fact that after running around a few good sized puddles, water can get inside that space. The bypass valve is a good idea, but then I heard it decreases the effectiveness of the setup. Still... if it weren't so wet around here, I'd be verrrry tempted to go with the AEM setup.

Oh, one last thing... I think the Spoon carbon fiber CAI looks waaay cooler in the engine bay! And just think, it's more exclusive to boot!

Hope this helps...