S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SPOON-Snorkle

Old 06-09-2004, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPOON-Snorkle

I want to get an intake but have read about all the problems with other intake systems like the loss of power with the comptech....and hydrolock with the AEM/Injen and decided that I will probably keep the stock intake but add a Spoon Snorkle to it....

Does anyone have one or heard anything about them? (such as loss/gain in power and SOUND.

thanks
Old 06-09-2004, 06:47 PM

i had the snorkel and it was geat and simple... as for gains, i never dynoed it, but i liked cause it wasn't loud.
i did feel i little difference in throttle response. its a good simple choice.
oh, i drove w/ it in heavy rains and had no prblems, i jus never opened the car up completely
Old 06-10-2004, 06:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This devise is simply an extension to the stock air inlet and thus doesn't really adversely affect the stock system. However, it can help you to keep the HP your engine has by not allowing the system to suck up hot air. You will pick up more road debris, usually in the form of fine sand particles, so you'll need to clean out the airbox from time to time (vacuum the sand out and give the air filter a good brushing out). Any "ram air" effects that have been talked about is not significant as you would have to be going really fast for any such effect to have any performance enhancing abilities.
Water going into the snorkel will also be taken care of by the stock box's design.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:29 AM

Its not likely that you will ever see dyno proven gains of power, since most dyno's are performed with the hood open and a fan blowing. It real driving circumstances however, it does allow for cooler air and a small positive pressure situation. Also, there is a post somewhere around here about other modifications you can perform on the stock box in conjunction with the spoon snorkel, involving removing the baffles in the stock box, to get a better tone. As far as the comptech intake, I beleive you may be misinformed about losing horsepower. Gains are never really huge with an intake, but I beleive you will gain about 2-4 hp with a Comptech system.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would like to know where you heard about a loss of power with the Comptech ... because I'm running the Comptech, and there was a perceptable gain in power - not a giant gain, but a noticable one for sure.
What was your source with regard to the Comptech?
Old 06-10-2004, 10:21 AM

here on the forums...i forgot which thread but it is in S2000 Talk
Old 06-10-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobmcq11
Its not likely that you will ever see dyno proven gains of power,
Old 06-10-2004, 04:42 PM

i too installed my spoon air duct, removed the wall dividing the air filter and the hole to get air in the air box...also removed the L-shaped part under the air box lid...def sounds deeper....like the others guys said check the air box once in a blue for leaves, rocks..etc...and shake the air filter...its does get dirty rather quick...

overall i didnt see gains if any from stock....it does feel more responsive though....i wonder if this is the same deal with the mugen and j's intake...if so..that would b a waste of $1200
Old 06-10-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just cut a floppy disc cover in the shape of the "door" to the resonator, and applied 3M 77 spray adhesive to adhere it - that way, it is bypassed but easily restored to OE look.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:45 PM

i hear that the mugen is a really good intake.
i was gonna do a sc, but anybody can slap one of those on and go fast. i want n/a baby and im gonna build a sepret head soon w/ some todas... oh i the things i would do if i had an extra 10k

Quick Reply: SPOON-Snorkle