S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sputtering, stalling, lean conditions

Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HvRRZ
Does the 06+ have an IACV??

Apologies for the long wait on my update. The car feels good daily driving after the CAT and O2 change. I can drive aggressive and the power feels smooth. The shacky feeling is still a bit there at idle, but I have realized something.... the real issues seem to start up soon as I engage VTEC. Before then the symptoms are minimal, but once I get on the high and get through a few gears... After is when I begun to feel the hesitation in power. Such a headache!!
Thank you for your response. I'm not sure of the year when drive-by-wire was introduced, but those model years do not have an IACV. The idle is controlled by the throttle body butterfly. If you've experienced some benefit from the cat/O2 replacement, it was likely due to the cat core being loose. As far as I know, that O2 sensor should only be for monitoring emissions; it shouldn't have any effect on performance.

It doesn't sound like the cat is the source of my problem. I only experience the sputtering at idle and extremely light throttle. The only hindrance to performance is the low idle - driveability and acceleration are unchanged, as far as I can tell. Again, thanks for your response. At this point, any results are good results.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

blasphemy101 - NO problem at all. Hopefully through peoples contributions we can come to some kind of solution.

I did some tests today to try and see if I can pinpoint my problem. I don't know if mine is the same issue as yours or what others are experiencing, but the symptoms seem to be the same. Doesn't hurt to post our findings. Anyway...
Reving the motor while in neutral seems to be very smooth. No hesitation at all in the climb, and no strange feeling in the pedal or weird noise to cause worry. Now once in gear(and once the hesitation begins mainly in the lower rpm range) the pedal almost feels heavier. The best way I can think of explaining it is it almost feels as if there is more weight to it and it's more willing to push back up against you(if that makes sense?).

Once I engage VTEC, that's when the issues become more severe. If I go through a couple gears full throttle to redline then bring it back and continue to cruise at normal speeds... it's very definite that the symptoms have now become more severe. Is this the same for everyone else?

For the first time during these tests I noticed something I hadn't before. If I downshift to a lower gear, say second, while going at a low speed, let off the clutch... rather then the car beginning to slow down, it continues at that speed. Higher speeds it'll slow down almost to a stall, but at very low speeds(10-20mph) if I bring it to a low gear it will continue to pull for a bit.

That's really all I have atm. It isn't much, but I thought I'd share my tests. Maybe someone has experienced the same.
Again the engine revs very smooth and the power is there... if this is the same for everyone else then I don't think any of us have to worry about our motors at all. It has to be an issue elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My problems are definitely different. I only have issues at low rpm and with low throttle. Once I go past a certain percentage of throttle or up in the higher revs, everything is fine.
I also have issues in neutral.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So this was never solved? I have the same issue ...
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM

I've removed the airpump and installed an oil catch can after someone noticed I have a lot of unburnt fuel coming out of my oil filler cap (measured it with an emissions sniffer).

The oil breather circulation does not enter my throttlebody anymore and this seems to make a difference. The problem isn't completly solved, but it's more driveable.
Might be due to worn pistonrings he said, uburnt fuel goes past the rings and into the engine oil. Also needs faster oil changes.
Oil consumption however seems to be normal.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:48 PM

I also have the same problem. Any updates on the issue? I know this is a old thread but curious if anyone solved the problem.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I solved mine. I bought it with the primary and secondary sensors reversed (plugged in each others header holes)
Old 06-25-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump, i am having the same issue. what is the fix ?
Old 10-13-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by crisskro
I solved mine. I bought it with the primary and secondary sensors reversed (plugged in each others header holes)
can you please elaborate? What does that even mean?
Old 10-13-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

O2 sensors plugged incorrectly

Quick Reply: Sputtering, stalling, lean conditions