S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stainless brake lines?

Old 02-18-2001, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone make a DOT legal set of stainless brake lines for the S2000?

What brand/vendor have people here used?

Was it worth the cost and effort, or is DOT4 fliud, speedbleeders and better pads enough for the occasional track day?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 02-18-2001, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Goodridge lines and think there is a very small difference in brake feel with a firmer pedal, and it is easier to modulate the brakes at the limit. It is not a must have mod, just a nice to have improvement.

A better brake fluid is a must have.. and cheap.

The speedbleeders are the way to go for maintenance. Higher friction pads are nice but you can manage with the stockers.

I have all the changes as well as ducting to the front rotors and could not ask for better brakes.
Old 02-18-2001, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same SS lines that Chris does, just put them on a few weeks ago, so I haven't been at the track with them. But it's certainly not something that will make a HUGE difference in braking. It's going to be a very subtle change, especially since the car is so new the stock rubber hoses haven't had that much time to flex and become, um, what's the right word here...more apt to expand which decreses braking power. Yea, that's it...

DOT 4 fluid is a must, however. I use the Motul fluid last season and put Castrol DOT 4 when I completely drained the lines of the Motul fluid when we put the SS lines on. I also took that opportunity to strip the calipers of all that freakin red Folia Tec paint and paint them a very nice black...they look sweet now!

Also, brake ducts are in the works...very very soon.

DOT 4 Fluid - essential
SS lines - sure, why not...
brake ducts - oh yea, especially for the track

That's my story...!
Old 02-18-2001, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The Goodridge lines are the ones I was considering, but when I asked the guys at King Motorsports if they carried lines for the S2000, they said that no, they don't, and to be careful of ones that aren't DOT legal. I don't know if that's an important concern or not. Anyone?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 02-18-2001, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Goodridge lines are DOT legal and carried by dozens of internet retailers. A quick search will find lots of places to order them.
Old 02-18-2001, 09:54 PM

I thought stainless lines were never DOT legal . Oh well, learn something new every day. Careful tho - if they're not the same length and don't mount in the stock locations, they sometimes get caught in the suspension and break - happened to my friend's jetta once. Damn near got us killed.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Tedster
...but when I asked the guys at King Motorsports if they carried lines for the S2000, they said that no, they don't,....
At the Auto Salon at Long Beach, King Motorsports had a prototype ss brake line for the S2000 with very fine ss fibers, dot legal they said. The rep stated it may be in production soon; it uses Honda oem fittings.
Old 02-19-2001, 06:44 AM
Banned

The Goodridge lines use all the stock mounting points. They are DOT legal.

Their impact will not be felt now - but over the life of the car as the stock hoses begin to flex over time.
Old 02-19-2001, 10:28 AM

Mike B. at Comptech has lines for the S2000.
Old 02-23-2001, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've put SS or kevlar lines on all of my motorcyles (ex. my dirtbike) and my old Supra TT. They've always made a nice improvement in feel, but not one set of lines I've bought has been DOT legal. Not that I've lost any sleep over it.

BTW, I don't know if they're available for cars, but the Goodridge Kevlar lines look sweet and are nearly weightless! You can see pics of the kevlar lines on my R1 @ http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chris_soignier?...l=fld13&.src=ph and on my F4 @ http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/chris_soignier?...el=fld9&.src=ph.

Quick Reply: Stainless brake lines?