S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Starter Replacement DIY

Old 01-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starter Replacement DIY

After reading the appalling Starter DIY that is already on here, I had to post. The process was ridiculous, and there were no pictures. There is no need to remove the intake manifold and go in from the top. Save your time. This is straight from the process an ASE certified tech would use.

Removal

**Steps 2 and 3 have different methods for MY00-05 than MY06-09**

1. Disconnect battery.

2. MY00-05: Disconnect the air hose (A) and the breather pipe (B), then remove the air
cleaner housing cover (C) and the air cleaner assembly (D).

Starter Replacement DIY-ega0gg7.jpg

2. MY06-09: Disconnect the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor connector (A) and the
breather pipe (B), remove the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor harness (C)
from the holder, then remove the air cleaner housing cover (D) and the air cleaner
assembly (E).

Starter Replacement DIY-ndekzfh.jpg

3. MY00-05: Disconnect the air control solenoid valve connector (A) and the vacuum
hoses (B), remove the harness clamps (C), then remove the air cleaner housing (D).

Starter Replacement DIY-oxsk0td.jpg

3. MY06-09: Remove the IAT sensor harness clamps (A), then remove the air cleaner
housing (B).

Starter Replacement DIY-otiw06b.jpg

4. Remove the drive belt.

5. Disconnect the 4P connector (A) and the positive alternator cable (B) from the alternator.

Starter Replacement DIY-yrlaboc.jpg

6. Remove the mounting bolts, then remove the alternator.

Starter Replacement DIY-yrdgbik.jpg

**BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE KNOCK SENSOR FROM HERE ON OUT. IT IS VERY CLOSE TO THE STARTER AND EASILY BREAKABLE**

7. Disconnect the positive starter cable (A) and the BLK/WHT wire (B) from the starter.

Starter Replacement DIY-yzttjrz.jpg

8. Remove the two bolts holding the starter, then remove the starter.

Installation

1. Install the starter, then connect the positive starter cable (A) and the BLK/WHT wire (B) to
the starter. Make sure the crimped side of the ring terminal faces away from the starter
when you connect it.

Starter Replacement DIY-onuc3om.jpg

2. Install the alternator.

Starter Replacement DIY-06vocti.jpg

3. Connect the 4P connector (A) and the positive alternator cable (B) to the alternator.

Starter Replacement DIY-4n3fp34.jpg

4. Install the drive belt.

5. Install your respective air intake system. No torque specs.

6. Reconnect battery.

7. Make sure care starts.

8. MY00-05: Do the ECU idle learn procedure.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for this, will bookmark for when the time comes. I just rolled over 100k, how long should the starter last?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solitarycheese
Thanks for this, will bookmark for when the time comes. I just rolled over 100k, how long should the starter last?
Mine started the "cold start skreech" around 75k. It was still working but since I had to rebuild my head anyways I just went ahead and replaced it. It had a lot more power than my OEM one so I imagine my OEM one was about to go out in a year or so.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you go with a brand new starter, or do these get rebuilt like alternators? I also have the cold start skreetch occasionally at temps below 40*.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced mine with a rebuilt Denso and it's been doing great.

Definitely the correct steps, but the following step should not be underestimated:

8. Remove the two bolts holding the starter, then remove the starter.

That top bolt is something else.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed the dead starter from my car yesterday. I unknowingly unbolted the motor and solenoid from the housing and removed them first and then removed the housing. I had a tough time getting the housing out through the tangle of wires and hoses between the fender and throttle body. What is the best way to get the new starter back in?
Old 11-11-2015, 02:58 AM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

Do it from underneath the car.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

I used a boroscope to guide in my extension and impact wobble socket on the top starter bolt, so as to not touch the knock sensor. I imagine this is the kind of stress that pilots go through while mid air refueling.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it in through the bottom after disconnecting the two ground wires and a fuel line bracket. When I was manuevering it into place I lightly touched the knock sensor with the back of my hand and it broke. I was able to get a 24mm deep socket on it and it is coming out tonight.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had to replace my starter in my MY06. I notice that mine did not have the top 14mm bolt. I only had one 14mm bolt (bottom) holding it in. Should I order and put the top 14mm bolt in?

Quick Reply: Starter Replacement DIY