S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange issues with a low-mileage 2003

Old 04-22-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange issues with a low-mileage 2003

Hi all, I just bought a one-owner 2003 with just 23,000 miles on it. The car is immaculate, except for two issues which I didn't find in the FAQ that I have been trying to figure out for the past week. The first is clutch smell and the second is a transmission noise. I have put all the info I have below, thanks in advance for any thought y'all put into this!

1. I keep smelling clutch even when driving the car very moderately (it is not my first manual and I have never burned a clutch before). I put the car on a lift and even when the car is just running in neutral you can smell the clutch. I have only put about 25 miles on the car since I got it, and I believe it was worst after just picking it up from the shipper. Something that may be relevant is that the clutch fluid was very dirty when I got the car. My mechanic was literally scraping things out of the reservoir. It has since been flushed, but the issue persists (although I haven't driven it for more than a few miles since it was flushed).

2. When the car is in neutral the transmission sounds like a box of rocks if you rotate the drive shaft. I did not notice any acute whining while driving, but again it may have been there. The noise is present whenever the wheels are turning, and, after using a stethoscope, seems to be coming from the output shaft bearing (not 100% sure on this).

Here is the part that confuses me the most - my mechanic said that the first time he drove the car after replacing the clutch fluid both the smell and the bearing noise were gone. He used a stethoscope to confirm that the noise wasn't present. I wasn't there myself, but I don't know why he would lie about it. I went over to take a look, but when we put it back on the lift they were both back. I don't know what this means, but to me it suggests that they are related.

Thank you for any help y'all can give me and sorry for the long post!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:12 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Maybe, post audio clip of this noise you are hearing.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM

I will do that tomorrow, I don't have access to the car right now.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Overheated clutch pads and brake pads have the same smell. Check the temps of your rims after a long drive to make sure it's not a stuck caliper. That might cause some funny sounds as well.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:22 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

is your clutch slipping, or if you're in gear with clutch pedal pressed down and you rev the engine, does the car move?

regarding #2, is this happening only in neutral or in all instances when the car is moving?
Old 04-23-2019, 06:32 AM

The clutch seems to work just fine. It holds in the low-speed-high-gear test and seems nice and grabby. It operates just like I'd expect, the only issue is the smell.

The transmission noise occurs whenever the rear wheels are moving, but I have only heard it from underneath the car.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Rear bearings? Did you perform the rear axle nut tighten procedure?
Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 AM

I can't say I know what that is, could you tell me?
Old 04-23-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

Manual transmissions are full of gears that usually make lots of noise.

From the INSIDE of most cars, the noise is mostly masked. If you're standing underneath the car while it runs on a lift....you're going to hear some noise from the trans. Especially since the axles are dangling down in an unnatural position and the gear teeth are not constantly engaged as they would be on the road. While in the air, most of the inertia in the system comes from the wheels and brakes....and there's not much weight behind those. When the car is on the road, however, the whole car's weight is being carried by the drivetrain...and gear teeth are virtually always preloaded in some direction and thusly more silent/less prone to rattle.

I can't really explain your burning smell. And clutch clamping has nothing to do with fluid quality. You could have pond water or grape jelly in the reservoir...and it wouldn't change clamping.

The clutch also can't slip whilst in neutral. Virtually any drag on the clutch in neutral would cause the input shaft to spin.

Another poster recommended checking for brake drag. Perhaps that's the issue?

How much clutch pedal freeplay is present?
Old 04-28-2019, 03:22 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Does the seller have any insight into the symptoms you are reporting?

Maybe consider draining the transmission oil to see how it looks?

Quick Reply: Strange issues with a low-mileage 2003