S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strut tower brace?

Old 09-09-2002, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut tower brace?

I see that a popular mod to the S (like most cars) is an STB. These normally make a lot of sense in cars with mac strut type suspensions, since they tie high load, critical points together for greater rigidity. The S, however, has a double-wishbone suspension, front and rear...and my understanding of this is that the shocks are not struts... Their primary loads are axial only and serve to absorb shock (the shocks) and "position" the suspension (the springs). Obviously there will be some loads on the bearings in non-axial directions, but should be pretty small - certainly not like what a mac strut setup experiences.

So my question is, why are STB's helpful with a double-wishbone suspension? And since the shocks aren't really struts, shouldn't it be a shock tower brace and not a strut tower brace?

It is an easy/cheap mod...if it improves handling it is certainly something I would consider (I do have an S even though it doesn't say owner...I just never remember to have my VIN handy when at my computer).

Thanks, Eric
Old 09-09-2002, 10:38 AM

The s2000 comes with front and rear x brace . Look under the car and you will see them. X
Old 09-09-2002, 10:41 AM

They do NOT come with factory X braces. They do come with braces, but they are not X s. There are many companies that sell both the STBs and the X braces which are both highly recommended. Do a search and you can find an assortment of one s that are available.

I just installed JIC STB and felt a difference right away. I also have Spoon X brace which i highly recommend as well.

F1s2000, maybe you are thinking about the chassis of the s2000, the backbone of the chassis is an X frame.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:45 AM

"F1s2000, maybe you are thinking about the chassis of the s2000, the backbone of the chassis is an X frame". Correct docofmind
I checked again and it s more like an H frame. My mistake. But honestly the S is stiff as hell. Just jack up the car form one side and you will see how stiff the chassy is. You really don't need a x brace or STB like other cars. Unless your racing on a track and are cornering hard. I don't think your going to be cornering on the street that hard anyway! Are you??????
Old 09-09-2002, 11:59 AM

I know about the X-braces, and will likely get one at some point (which one I don't know though...) My question was more regarding the usefulness of the STB. Docofmind...you say you felt a difference after installing it (was this separate from the X or simultaneously?) If you felt a difference installing the STB after you already had the X-brace, then, at least by a seat of the pants gauge, it is useful.

F1s2000, from what I hear, the X-brace does make a noticeable difference, especially on rough roads. You're right though, the S is already a remarkable stiff car. But with suspensions as precise as they are, every little bit of flex can be detrimental.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:27 PM

What I noticed with the STB was more stability on rough turns, especially if it is a tight turn you are putting power to. The X Brace will definitely tighten up the chassis. Together they make a very good combination for stability and tightness.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:42 PM

I installed the X brace first and was very impressed. I believe it really tightens up the chassis on rough roads. You feel bumps a lot less.
The STB is totally different. I feel less body roll and a more precise steering. I installed the bar later because so many people told me once you have the X brace you odnt need a STB. WRONG. Big difference. For 140 dollars its definitely worth a try.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:44 PM

BTW, F1s2000, i do corner that hard!!!!
Old 09-09-2002, 05:25 PM

I couldn't tell a difference w/either the Neuspeed & Comptech stb's. Then again, the whole point of getting a stb (For me at least) was b/c it's nice eye candy in the engine bay.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaGuy
[B]I couldn't tell a difference w/either the Neuspeed & Comptech stb's.

Quick Reply: Strut tower brace?