S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Toda camshafts?

Old 09-28-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Toda camshafts?

has anyone tried them.
I figure maybe while my engine is apart, I might look into maybe. although the price and from what I heard from Toda to me is not woth it.

id like to hear from someone that actually put them on their cars. I am supercharged wondering if it would make a little more difference on my setup.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if anyone has tried them w/ a supercharger. I know a couple of NA guys have them and made anywhere from 3-10 hp, IIRC. There's a huge thread around here somewhere... try looking a couple of pages down.

If you get them, be sure and post back here w/ the results.
I'm getting them for my NA application, and I'll post here when my work is done, but it will probably be a few months.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:04 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

maybe UL or someone can chime in with technical explanation of why you don't want these cams with a supercharger, but my understanding is you don't want high overlap cams like these with a SC, because you might go boom.

the thread is here: http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=124876

if you do a search for cams and superchargers you'll find out more info, this has been discussed before a couple times.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HardtuTame, I have a set for sale. PM me if you're interested.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:07 PM

My understanding is that the cams would be beneficial for a supercharged app but not the turbo app.
Beroz
Old 09-29-2003, 12:22 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

strange, I thought the backpressure fromt the turbo was beneficial for cams like this, helping to balance incoming pressure, where the SC is only pressurized on one side of the head.

good thing I'm not running boost

UL please help!!! (shines light into the sky with UL blocked out)
Old 04-06-2004, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

toda people said u can use the spec a's with the supercharger
Old 04-06-2004, 02:59 PM

I am seriously considering getting the Toda camshaft but they have 3 kinds: Spec A,B,C. There are a whole bunch of lift #s listed with each spec.....problem is I don't know the difference. I would like to know about the characteristics of each spec. I'm trying to pick the perfect spec for my N/A S2000. To all the intelligent beings on this forum please shed some light on this topic.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by bunjimobile
I am seriously considering getting the Toda camshaft but they have 3 kinds: Spec A,B,C. There are a whole bunch of lift #s listed with each spec.....problem is I don't know the difference. I would like to know about the characteristics of each spec. I'm trying to pick the perfect spec for my N/A S2000. To all the intelligent beings on this forum please shed some light on this topic.
Read the Toda web page regarding other requirements with each spec. IIRC, the Spec A camshafts are the only ones that they say will work with the stock pistons. The others require special pistons (they recommend Toda pistons, obviously) which will allow more valve-to-piston clearance. The Spec A camshafts still require uprated valvesprings (which will probably require you to pull the head off).

Another thing to keep in mind is that, as far as I know, no one on this board has even test-fitted a set of Spec B or C camshafts, so if you choose those, you will be a pioneer. In that case, please be sure you do a before & after dyno!

Also... be sure you buy from an authorized Toda dealer if you want a warranty or technical support (which may be needed for your install). See the following thread for a horror story regarding what can go wrong if you don't buy from an authorized dealer:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=193782
But, if you're willing to take the risk... that's your call.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:27 PM

yeah either ways I knew the valve springs and the cam shafts go hand in hand. Hows the labour on these mods? I know cam gears installation is only about 1-2hr. Camshaft is probably about 2-3hr? As for valve springs I have no idea. Well since Spec B and C requires new pistons I would definitely stay away from those...........I guess Spec A it is then.

Quick Reply: Toda camshafts?