S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Torque Sensor replacement

Old 03-29-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not gotten around to do this yet. I have the part but just need the time. Car is a garage queen and the weather is getting warmer so everything is good. Problem only occurs when it's cold. Another reason to live in Florida.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rack doesn't require removal for the TS install, however you will need to back off your rack guide bolt to install the new sensor.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Avionics86 and tehlonz, thank you both for following up!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:39 AM

I ordered a new torque sensor and am planning to complete the installation this weekend. Majestic Honda has 53101-S2A-A03 listed as the part for 05 (and later) models, so there might have been a design change for AP2s.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:01 PM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

That's probably what it was, maybe the AP1 sensor is discontinued, which IMO isn't too uncommon. Can't buy rear control arm bushings for AP1's, or brake pads, or clutch disks, or engines.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:41 PM

I just completed the torque sensor (TS) replacement (followed by the neutral position relearn) and it seems to have addressed the EPS issue. All of the uneven steering effort and EPS shudder (when backing up slowly) is gone. The EPS assist is smooth and predictable now!

When I completed the test drive, I noticed the steering wheel was no longer centered when the vehicle is tracking straight. I disconnected the steering coupler and turned the wheel to the next spline on the shaft, but it appears to have over-corrected in the other direction now. I suspect I may have over tightened the rack guide and will check that next (when the car cools down tomorrow!).

Here are a few photos comparing the old and new torque sensor:

The following users liked this post:
Bricktop ivi (05-24-2021)
Old 05-07-2016, 07:36 AM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by aphex4000
I just completed the torque sensor (TS) replacement (followed by the neutral position relearn) and it seems to have addressed the EPS issue. All of the uneven steering effort and EPS shudder (when backing up slowly) is gone. The EPS assist is smooth and predictable now!

When I completed the test drive, I noticed the steering wheel was no longer centered when the vehicle is tracking straight. I disconnected the steering coupler and turned the wheel to the next spline on the shaft, but it appears to have over-corrected in the other direction now. I suspect I may have over tightened the rack guide and will check that next (when the car cools down tomorrow!).

Thanks for the info on this post. The steering wheel being off center is very common, it happened to me when I had to disconnect the steering shaft from the TS. The splines are very fine , and when you made the second adjustment you just over-corrected in the opposite direction. It just takes a bit of trial and error to get it right, or you could have the car aligned to get it straight. It took me about 4 adjustments to get it straight, very easy to do .
Old 05-07-2016, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Originally Posted by aphex4000' timestamp='1462599672' post='23959545

etc...

Thanks for the info on this post. The steering wheel being off center is very common, it happened to me when I had to disconnect the steering shaft from the TS. The splines are very fine , and when you made the second adjustment you just over-corrected in the opposite direction. It just takes a bit of trial and error to get it right, or you could have the car aligned to get it straight. It took me about 4 adjustments to get it straight, very easy to do .

Thanks so much for the input, zeroptzero! I was really starting to think I would need to adjust the rack guide or end links (neither of which really make sense now.

As you mentioned it took a bit of trial and error, and three attempts later I had it centered again. A little mark with a sharpie really helped.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the ap2 sensor fit the ap1?
Old 05-23-2016, 05:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MSTSH80
does the ap2 sensor fit the ap1?
Yes

Quick Reply: Torque Sensor replacement