S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Turbo anyone?? Speed Craft??

Old 07-12-2002, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo anyone?? Speed Craft??

Unfortunately enough... I don't have a turbo yet.. I don't think a supercharger is in mind.

Which would be better for my S2000... supercharger or turbo... I'm thinking turbo...

Regarding the Turbo kit... what is the: Total Cost including installation... Performance difference... Where to get it... and any other comments...

Same for a supercharger..

Thanks,
Jim
Old 07-12-2002, 09:38 AM

I'm partial to turbos. Try the search feature on the board, you will find a wealth of information on both applications.
Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:23 AM

Your total cost for the turbo will probably end up being close to double what you are going to pay for a supercharger....something to think about.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:14 PM

I understand that turbo will be twice as much, but how bout performance difference????

Anyone?
Old 07-12-2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by iLikeBeer
Your total cost for the turbo will probably end up being close to double what you are going to pay for a supercharger....something to think about.
i love how people always think this way, but i added it all up, and it is completely un-true...

lets say you are gonna SC your car. cool...but most people dont stop right there. they do other mods too, like a header and exhaust system for example. lets say you opt for a Spoon or Mugen header ($1300), any dual exhaust system (almost all of them run in the range of $1000+), and a V-AFC if you want to extract a little more power. so thats $2740, plus the $4900, making a grand total of $7640.

but lets say you go the turbo route ($6200), you dont need to buy a header, and you need to have a custom 3" exhaust made (roughly $400-600, depending on setup...but still MUCH cheaper than an aftermarket unit). plus the V-AFC, turbo timer, and boost controller: $850

so add it up, and you have supercharged: $7640 vs. turbo: $7450-$7650.

hmm...
Old 07-12-2002, 03:39 PM

Between turbo and super, what kind of wear and tear can you expect? I know I know, some people drive theirs harder than others. But as a newbie to the world of FI, what can someone expect in the way of maintenance, tune ups, blown engines, etc?
Old 07-12-2002, 03:42 PM

Joe D

I like someone with your knowledge... please advise what one would end up providing the most boost in performance???

Thank you in advance.

--Jim
Old 07-12-2002, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 21wS2K
[B]Joe D
Old 07-12-2002, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was very impressed with the overall quality of the Speedcraft kit. Its well put together. Could you assemble it cheaper by yourself as some have suggested? Maybe, but why bother? The money you'd save probably wouldn't be worth the hassle or the risk. About the only complaint I have about the kit is the location of the intake filter. They really need to work up a heat shielded intake box with a good cold air feed. The Comptech kit also looks well constructed, but that damn vibration and mount cracking issue keeps coming up.

Interesting note about the Speedcraft kit. The intercooler system, while somewhat small looking, is very effective in cooling the charge (don't know about pressure loss). We tested an 8 psi kit last night. On the road, datalogging the intake air temp, once underway (60+ mph) the IAT never exceeded 30F over ambient. That's quite nice. I think that Speedcraft sized the intercooler just right.

As for the comparison, having messed around with both SC'd and Speedcraft cars now, I can say that the predictions from the dyno curves will bear true on the street. For example, at 6000 rpm, a Comptech S2K puts down around 170 hp. A 6 psi Speedcraft puts down 200 hp at the same rpm. 8 psi Speedcraft - 220 hp@6000 rpm. That's a difference you can feel.

UL
Old 07-12-2002, 05:31 PM

hi all...

complete newby to FI as well...but...

would a turbo help at all at the top end then? since it seems like all the power is boosting at 3500-6000 rpm, would the curve then sag after this or remain constant?

i heard a couple of things too...

1) if your car is naturally tuned to run at high rpms, then you should help the engine at high rpms...i.e, don't try and make low end power if the engine isn't meant to have low end power...get higher top end power if the engine is meant to run peak at top end...

2) the drivetrain of the stock s2000 isn't strong enough to handle the sudden boost (torque) created by a turbo...thus if a turbo is added, the drivetrain needs to be upgraded as well...

this is what i heard...and my terms are probably wrong...but any insight into this will probably answer a lot of my questions reguarding FI. ultimate lurker and joeD seem to know their stuff pretty good on FI...maybe they can chime in and answer my questions? i'll run a search too... maybe i shoulda done that first...

mike

Quick Reply: Turbo anyone?? Speed Craft??