S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Upgrading my S

Old 04-12-2003, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading my S

I am thinking of getting CAI and an exhaust system. (not sure which one yet so I'm open to suggestions if you have any) I just have one question on all this. Is it really worth the grand or so that I'd spend? I'm just curious if there is a better upgrade out there for the money? I'm a new owner and I'm used to big american engines like the 350 chevy engines so I'm trying to learn all the ins and outs of the honda higher tech engines. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Brandon
Old 04-12-2003, 08:50 AM

i don't think the exhaust really gives you the much HP. i think the most you will be getting is weight savings. i would look more into the sound of the exhaust because the performance gain is not that much. i happen to like the HKS for its awesome sound and it looks really tough from all angles.

MAtt
Old 04-12-2003, 08:03 PM

I got the HKS and my horse power at wheels drop by 2 hp at the wheels 198 to 196 WTF?
Old 04-12-2003, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the information guys...got one other question...I saw a toda cam on evolution autosports website...what do those run and what kind of gains have you seen?
Old 04-13-2003, 10:28 AM

Hey bud,

Congrats on your S. You're gonna love it.

As far as mods are concerned, if you plan on staying away from turbosupercharging, start with Exhaust and Intake. I highly reccomend the AEM CAI, I noticed some decent top-end gains for an intake. Install the bypass valve!! If it rains alot where you are, I'd reccomend the shortie AEM, it works well too and sounds great.

For your exhaust, you'd be a fool not to look into Spugen. Most of the aftermarket exhaust systems are overrated and extremely overpriced. Spugen is a "backyard special" variety that will actually show you healthy gains with a non-ricey tone. PM AHHVTEC, his name is Duc and he will hook you up for around 300 bucks. Good luck with your modding!

-Toby V.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:38 AM

Sweet man thanks for the information. And for now i am staying away from forced air. In a few years (when i can afford to turn this car into a full time toy) I will do some major work to make it a real competitor on the track, but as for now I think I will look into that AEM and Spugen. Thanks again
Old 04-13-2003, 05:11 PM

If you wanna spend a grand +/-, I'd get some 4.44 gears. Exhaust/Intake are maybe worth 5 hp max. It also depend on which set-up u go with. Keep in mind that u can also hurt hp if you get bolt ons without tuning it with a vaf-c or something.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kekoa
[B]If you wanna spend a grand +/-, I'd get some 4.44 gears.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by 00S2KFAN
I am thinking of getting CAI and an exhaust system. (not sure which one yet so I'm open to suggestions if you have any) I just have one question on all this. Is it really worth the grand or so that I'd spend? I'm just curious if there is a better upgrade out there for the money? I'm a new owner and I'm used to big american engines like the 350 chevy engines so I'm trying to learn all the ins and outs of the honda higher tech engines. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Brandon
I have gone the same route as you have, from Corvettes to the S2000. While the intake, exhaust and manifold will give you a few HP and ft/lbs, the money you spend will not give you the same returns as they do on American iron. I have found the biggest (and most expensive) bang for the buck if you want to stay NA is an aftermarket ECU.
I have the Mugen ECU and I think it is almost worth the money. Here's the dyno plot corrected to show only the stock vs the Mugen ECU as variables:

Having spent too much money so far for very little NA gains, I finally have bowed to the Honda engineers. They got it right the first time. Best of luck tuning the engine, but I think you will find in the end that the only way to make dependable serious power over stock is to go with a turbo or a blower. dlk
Old 04-13-2003, 08:57 PM

Although I have also head that the mugen ecu has given very impressive gains.....don't forget to mention that you have to run the cooling mods and run at least 92 or 93 octane gas. Not sure how accessible that is in Texas. Also, many have said that the ecu is pretty aggressive and is not recommended for a daily driven street car.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my S