S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

USDM Engine Swap requirements and tips

Old 10-29-2018, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question USDM Engine Swap requirements and tips

Hi Folks,
Need some advice and tips here. I have the possibility of buying a "mint" s2000 MY2001 at a very VERY good price BUT.... the motor blew out and need an engine swap. Everything is new or in perfect shape on suspension, transmission, mounts, brakes, exhaust, etc. "Just" need to change the engine and is a good to go however me and my shop are not very good on electronics. No prob with heavy duty work and then work in mechanic things with this engine. We have experience on F20c but... electronics is a PITA for us.... because of that, ideally i don't want to go the JDM swap path and deal with all that extra pain. Ideally would like to keep all stock... some kind of "plug and play" (yeah, right! ja)

Questions and request for advance on the following:
- What do i need for a USDM->USDM engine swap? I know there is an immobilizer associated to each ECU so.... Should I look for an engine + ecu + keys perhaps? or... maybe just engine and use old AP1 ECU + Keys from current car... any tips?
- Where in US (ideally FL) can i find a USDM engine? Any tips on shops?
- Is there any extra tips you guys can give me?

Thanks!

PS: Formal request from@Billman250 here to share some wisdom if possible.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

You don't need to replace the ECU from the doner car, you will just leave yours. The best advice I can give is to do it from the bottom. Drop the front subframe, then raise the car from the crashbar and roll the motor/transmission out the bottom. Do the opposite to put it back in.

In FL, TAE in Tampa regularly stocks motors, among other wreck shops. I'd recommend upgrading to the AP2 F22 while you're at it. Prices are too close not to upgrade.

Do a clutch job while you're in there.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, thanks @roel03 .
I also read something about some weird ground cables that must be connected to properly start the engine. Something in the back? not sure. Any tips?