S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

vafc emanage question

Old 06-10-2004, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vafc emanage question

I have read a lot of stuff on this but I have a couple specific questions that I can't seem to find in the search function...

I have a vt s/c on the car. I know it runs lean. I never got it checked yet, but I've never read a post that the vt was rich... Anyway it's time to fix that. I am not looking for more hp gains. I just want to run safe A/F ratios.

I know you cannot add fuel with the vafc or it will see boost b/c of the map clamp. So one thing I was considering was upgrading my fuel injectors to say 440's and subtract out the fuel. Because that's basically what I would do with the emanage. (I know I can increast pulse with too, but adding fuel is adding fuel regardless of how it's done right?)

First question would using a vafc2 to subtract out fuel from larger injectors be a fix?

Second question, how does changing the injector size effect open and close loop with the vafc in the S?

I have read in some posts that the ECU in the S will correct the values changed by the VAFC in closed loop. Is that true? will it try to lean out to factory setting's of like 13-14? or will it just lean lets say from 12.2 to 12.5? Will the emanage have that same problem?

Last... how does the leaning in closed loop effect the open loop.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like swallowing a spider to catch the fly.

Look, what you want to do is add fuel at certain points on the rev range, right?

You could install 4 440cc injectors ($500 incl. labour??) then pull fuel throughout the range with the V-AFC ($$ tuning) and wear the consequences of whatever other changes faking the MAP signal has on timing etc.

Or, replace the V-AFC with an E-manage and add some fuel (properly) where it's needed.

I doubt the cost will be any more than new injectors after you sell the VAFC and you'll be doing it the proper way not the ghetto way.

Hey, but it's your car. Do what you like.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Or, replace the V-AFC with an E-manage and add some fuel (properly) where it's needed.
I guess you're referring to adding fuel via the injector map as opposed to using the air flow correction map (which would be the same method as the V-AFC)? Just pointing this difference out as those without eManage's might not understand why the eManage would be any better at performing this task. Incase this wasn't clear, I totally agree with Aus's suggestion. One thing to consider is adding fuel across the whole range w/ the adjustable FRP, if you have the Comptech kit. If it's Vortech you don't have this option.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:30 PM

But I don't know why she swallowed the fly...

Hey guys, Thanks for the input.

wes, it's a vortec.

I'm looking into the emanage now. I would like to actually lower my fuel pressure, which is why I am looking into larger injectors. I did not know that the emanage had other options other than the same map sensor adjuster as the vafc. I was under the impression that the 16x16 map was for aux fuel injectors.

Would the emanage have any compatibility problems with the vortec sc due to the black box? I know you can adjust timing within the emanage, that's why I ask.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 298 Likes on 277 Posts

You can use an Emanage and a Vortech timing controller at the same time. The Vortech controller is actually more accurate than the E-Manage is a modifying the timing map.

E-Manage is accurate to 1 Degree, + or - 1. So you have to pull a whole lot of timing to get a desired effect.

The Vortech controller is accurate to the .1 degree.

The main difference between the 2 controllers is that the Vortech wires directly to the crank position sensors, were the E-Manage wires to the ignition coils.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:07 PM

Just don't buy/use the E-manage ignition harness. Use the E-manage to add fuel and for MAP Limiting and the Vortech/Split Second unit for ignition timing.

Just so you know, I'm running a Comptech no AC, 8lb pulley, 440cc injectors and E-manage. I removed the Comptech FPR and have replaced with a SARD unit.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:46 PM

SARD unit?

Who made the 440's? RC?

How was the emanage to tune?
Old 06-11-2004, 06:50 PM

Yep, the 440s are RC Eng. Soon to be replaced with 550s.

The E-manage is pretty straight forward. I've got some problems that I think are Closed/Open loop related but will work through them.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:51 PM

i have an emanage i am selling..... with everything you need to plug and play..... pm me for details.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 03spa
I know you cannot add fuel with the vafc or it will see boost b/c of the map clamp.

Quick Reply: vafc emanage question