S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve cover

Old 02-23-2004, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by dmise
One more thing, the service manager told me it ws normal to have coolant in the oil after a headgasket repalcement because of all the nocks and crannies in the cars engine. Sounds like B.S. to me
maybe youll end up with very very minute mixing of it but you shouldnt see any antifreeze on the dipstick or see any oil in the radiator.

other than that an improperly torqued down head will cause leakage like stated above, and also possible compression leakage, and finally a warped head
Old 02-23-2004, 07:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HardtuTame
Old 02-23-2004, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

!
So, it sounds like you noticed oil accumulation on the outside of the engine along the interface between the head and block and the dealer went ahead and replaced the head gasket.

Since you observed coolant and oil mixing together after this repair, I would make certain that the dealer documents this issue, clearly stating what was wrong with the initial repair and the remedies that were performed to resolve the problems. They will need to pull the head again, replace the damaged head gasket and make darned sure that it is torqued properly this time. Simply retorquing the valve cover bolts will do nothing to solve the problems you're describing. Even if they meant that they would just retorque the head bolts, that would not be a thorough solution. The head gasket may be deformed and contaminated so that it will not seal properly. Also, I would be worried that the head or block was warped (possibly due to running the engine with improperly torqued head bolts) and would insist that they check to make sure they are decked properly. Yes, they will need to flush both the coolant system and engine oil to make sure that all contaminants are removed once everything is bolted back together. This will be a lengthy, involved process that needs to be done carefully and properly. You may want to consult with another dealer and/or independent Honda specialty garage for a second opinion before proceding.

I can't think of any way that an aftermarket intake and cat-back exhaust would cause the head gasket to leak.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree w/ CoralDoc.

In fact, it almost sounds as if your problems are worse now than they were initially. I would not accept them just re-torquing the head bolts. If it were my car and the problem is as bad as it sounds, I would insist on the headgasket getting replaced again but not before the block and head are checked for straightness and the head was pressure tested. Who knows, by now the head could be warped or cracked - if not both - and I wouldn't want to be going back there a third time to find out.

And as HardtuTame said, after a head gasket, oil and coolant change, the amount of coolant in the oil is so minute that you probably wouldn't even notice it.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Banned

well I dont think its something you should have to demand at this point. Doing the headgasket again should be imminent, but like the others said who knows if they screwed up the job to the point of warping the head. If that is the case they should give you a new longblock and cut their losses, they are losing credibility on their work fast.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly, I don't think I would trust this shop to repair their own mistakes. I would demand that they pay another "qualified" shop to repair their mistakes.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
Honestly, I don't think I would trust this shop to repair their own mistakes.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:33 AM

First of all you shouldn't let this guys boss you around. It seems to me they are trying to share the responsability with you and you cannot let this happend. They mess up and they are liable for this. No fluid change nor head gasket replacement. They should replace the whole block. What you should do is demand this and if they don't respond, call your insurance company and tell them you need to replace your block because the dealer damage it. Im sure before the insurance pays you they are going to have a long talk with the dealer and beleive me the dealer won't get in a legal battle with a top insurance company knowing they are at falt. They will lose a lot money ( the insurance company never loses). Also call and E-mail American Honda so they know about the situation .

PS- The issue with the exhaust and AEM is totally B.S. This mods don't don't even void warranty. And if this were the case they should have advise you about this before you left the dealer. Don't let them screw you!
Old 02-26-2004, 06:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hecash
In your opening post, you state that one valve failed.

Clearly, replacement of the head gasket, proper mounting and refitting (torque) of the head, flushing and restoration of fluids will do nothing for a damaged valve.

What valve is it?
Old 02-26-2004, 06:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave, buddy!!

You are getting HOSED by another fantastic San Diego area Honda dealership!!
All hail the Honda god of service!!!!

Get that car outta there pronto. The dealer f***ed up, and goes down the road of blaming you for ANY of it?!?!?!?

Two words for that place.........................buh.......bye.

Quick Reply: Valve cover